Position Objective: To provide pastoral leadership to the worship ministries of First Montgomery.
Position Description: The worship pastor will be the “producer” of each worship service and special program. Although the pastor is the “director” in terms of setting the theme and overall direction, the worship pastor will oversee and
coordinate all the details that a service encompasses. The worship pastor must be a visionary who is creative in leading people to God. The worship pastor is a leader who can communicate a direction in a way that inspires those around him/her to join in the
pursuit of that vision. This position is a pastoral one that therefore requires the individual to serve not solely as a musical director but also as a shepherd to the people who serve in this ministry. The worship pastor reports directly to the pastor.
1 A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a vital, growing personal relationship with Him.
2 Commitment to moral purity.
3 Commitment to the mission, vision, and worship philosophy of First Montgomery.
4 Demonstrated excellence as a worship leader, i.e. has grown a music ministry over the past few years?
- A pastor as well as a musician. This does not mean ordained.
- A heart for the spiritual formation of those in the congregation and the worship ministry.
- Relational skills and an enthusiastic presence for leading a church in worship.
- Skilled in choral, vocal, and instrumental direction.
- Skilled in organization, administration, and interpersonal relationships.
- Skilled in the use of technology in worship and in the use of sound, lighting, stage design, computers, Pro Presenter, Power Point, and video projection.
- Ability to incorporate other art forms as needed.
- A self-starter
- A team player with a positive attitude.
- Maintain an authentic and growing walk with Jesus Christ through the ongoing spiritual disciplines of Bible reading, prayer, personal worship, missions, and fellowship.
- Build the necessary teams to carry out the worship goals of First Montgomery.
- Plan the corporate worship services of First Montgomery in consultation with the Pastor and do so with prayer, conceptual forethought, theological accuracy, and musical appropriateness. Ensure that all the musical and technical aspects of the service advance
the theme for the day. Oversee song and choral selection, media preparation and presentation, sound and lighting enhancements, stage design, and coordination of all instrumentalists and vocalists.
- Serve as lead worshiper in all worship services, regardless of day or time.
- Direct all weekly activities and rehearsals necessary to facilitate worship in all services.
- Maintain office hours as agreed upon with the pastor.
- Provide pastoral care for the worship teams and choirs.
- Participate in pastoral and hospital visitation as assigned.
- Participate in church outreach programs, including encouragement and leadership of members in outreach.
- Develop and oversee a youth choir program and a separate children’s choir program.
- Introduce our worship teams and choirs to worship training provided by other ministries, books, websites and conferences.
- Plan and implement worship nights, major seasonal events, and outreach events.
- Oversee the worship department budget, organization, and volunteers.
- To be the pastor of everyone involved in the music ministry and take spiritual oversight for them.
- To work closely with the pastor ensure the worship supports the overall mission of the church.
- Perform other responsibilities as determined by the Pastor.
- Promote unity within the church by exercising Biblical conflict resolution practices, fostering unity within the worship team, deescalating conflict, and loving & protecting First Montgomery.
- Refrain from public criticism of other staff members.
- Refrain from any activity that might harm First Montgomery, the staff, or the congregation.