Gateway Job Description
STUDENT MINISTRIES PASTOR
The Student Ministries Pastor is to recruit and lead a leadership team that provides a safe and healthy environment of connection, care and learning for both Junior High (6th-8th) and High School (9th-12th) students and their
families to position them for spiritual transformation.
- Vision Development. The Student Ministries Pastor will be responsible to work with the other pastors/department leaders of the Executive Ministry Team to help set vision and coordinate ministries and strategies for the overall
goal of helping Gateway people of all ages to join God in the transformation of our lives and culture to reflect His heart. This may require adjusting plans and ministries at times for the strategic efforts of the whole.
- Leadership Development. The pastor will be responsible for recruiting, equipping and leading a team of ministry volunteers. The pastor will help them to succeed through special training times and weekly preparation times with the
- Weekly Gatherings. The pastor will be responsible for planning, implementing and team- leading separate weekly gatherings for Junior High and High School groups. This includes planning and leading/delegating games, Bible lessons
and group discussions.
- Small Groups. The pastor will be responsible for recruiting, organizing and training for a system of small groups for Student Ministries that values group-based care and learning.
- Special Events. The pastor will be responsible to provide opportunities for students to experience church life by partnering in church-wide events, activities and annual retreats.
- School visits. The pastor will be responsible for maintaining a weekly schedule of visiting several middle school and high school campuses per week with his/her leaders for the purpose of strengthening connection points with existing
students and reaching out to new students to build new connections
- Student Care. The pastor will make time each week to meet with and help provide spiritual direction, life advice and above all a listening ear to students in this ministry. In addition to modeling mentoring, he/she will encourage
the leadership team to mentor and guide the students in their small groups and individually.
- Families. The pastor will seek to build relationships with the student’s families by providing resources, listening and offering guidance to families when requested.
- Demonstrates a strong Christian faith and a love and passion for continued spiritual growth in the body of Christ.
- Shares a Reformed theological perspective and embraces the vision of Gateway Community Church.
- Must demonstrate a deep love for students and a strong desire for them to follow Christ.
- Must be able to lead and equip in a competent and organized manner.
- Willingness to tailor youth experiences to the style and context of the church and community in a way that offers non-church kids a place to connect, while offering opportunity to deepen their faith.
- Must be a team player with a desire to seek the good of the greater church body and community over personal gain.
- Must demonstrated giftedness and effectiveness in leadership and be a responsible steward of finances, time and opportunity.
- Must have the ability to relate well to a variety of people (students, team members, parents, staff, etc.).
- Must be able to admit the wins and losses of their personal story with God and others as appropriate.
- Must be involved in youth ministry (two year minimum) as a leader or volunteer; or have the academic equivalent.
- Must demonstrate the desire and commitment to consistently learn and grow as a leader, especially as a speaker and teach of God’s Word, recognizing that leaders are learners.
- Willingness to become a member of Gateway Community Church.