Children’s Minister Job Description
Colonial Heights Christian Church, Kingsport, TN
To connect the children, children’s ministry volunteers and families of Colonial Heights Christian Church—and the unchurched—with Christ, His Word, His Family.
The candidate must possess:
- a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent from an accredited college
- a commitment to Restoration movement principles and the Christian church’s doctrine and practices
- 3 or more years of experience and/or education in children’s ministry
- giftedness and enthusiasm in working with children and their families and children’s volunteers
- desire/ability to shepherd children into salvation, spiritual maturity and a lifetime of ministry
- the ability to communicate well and maturely via social media, e-mail, phone and in person
- integrity, and an ongoing commitment to personal spiritual growth
- a positive spirit and team mentality
- an obvious love for the Lord, His Word, and people.
Reports directly to the associate minister, with input and mentoring from the elders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Goals/Programs: Work with church leaders and volunteers to a) establish outcome goals for individuals and the children’s ministry, and then b) design weekly programming to achieve those outcomes (nursery, classes/worship, Wednesday evening),
and c) execute the plan with excellence
- Special Events: Coordinate and execute special events, retreats, camps and mission trips that introduce children to salvation, spiritual maturity and/or a lifetime of Christian service/missions
- Leadership Development: Identify, recruit, train and utilize a) members of the church to be children’s ministry volunteers/leaders and b) older children/youth to be student leaders, building a strong sense of community, service/mission,
and leadership as the culture of our children’s ministry
- Outreach & Ministry: Develop outreach strategies and events that connect unchurched children and families to CHCC, and which allow children in the ministry to invite others
- Relationships: Build strong and appropriate personal relationships with children and volunteers in both the church and community, shepherding children through decisions for Christ and crises, and providing or outsourcing Christian
counseling as needed
- Administration: Demonstrate organization, preparation, communication and accountability in the areas of planning, budget, curriculum, communication/advertising, monthly reports and newsletter articles
- Staff roles: Fulfill as-needed duties of a ministerial staff member, in and out of the children’s ministry, such as: preaching and teaching opportunities, weddings or funerals, hospital visitation, evangelistic visitation, church camp/VBS,
community events, Bible Bowl
Criteria for Performance Evaluation
Performance will be measured by an annual review which evaluates: the manner in which yearly goals were achieved; the fulfillment of the duties and responsibilities listed in this job description; the quality of relationships with staff, church leaders,
church members, guests and the community as a whole.
Subjective issues will be evaluated by answering the following question:
Are the children and volunteers of CHCC growing in numbers, decisions, spiritual maturity, and commitment to ministry?