Part-Time Contemporary Worship Leader
First Baptist Church Plainfield, IN (FBCP)
FBCP is a vibrant church of 250-300 active members in Plainfield, IN. Plainfield is a suburb of Indianapolis, located in one of the fastest growing counties in Indiana, and has a 4-star rated school system. We are an American Baptist Church (http://abc-indiana.org/)
whose mission, vision, and statement of faith can be found at http://firstbaptistplainfield.org. We currently offer two worship services for our congregation. Each Sunday at 9:15 a.m. we have a service with traditional hymns and piano; then at 10:30 a.m.
we have a contemporary worship with worship band. This part-time worship leader is intended to serve the contemporary service.
Credentials & Qualifications
- Mature Christian, committed to continuing to pursue Christ, grow in Christian faith, and model Christ’s examples
- Experience leading worship and worship team members
- Preferred: Minimum 3 years’ experience as a worship leader or active team member
- Ability to participate as an active worship team member as either an instrumentalist or vocalist (preferably both)
- Willingness to work in conjunction with pastoral leaders and worship board members for guidance, direction, and coordination of worship services and church direction of worship
- College degree, current pursuing college degree or commensurate experience
- Preferred: Experience using worship experience software such as MediaShout 6 for presentation of lyrics, SongSelect for CCLI music library, and Planning Center for service planning
Job duties, responsibilities, and expectations
- Pursue an authentic, growing walk with Christ
- Serve as leader of the contemporary service and worship band
- Plan contemporary worship services with input and guidance from pastoral staff and worship board (Planning includes selection of songs, preparation of transitions, coordination of other worship components, setting order of service, and documentation of
plans in PlanningCenter software)
- Execute and lead contemporary worship services on Sundays and special holidays when services may be held (i.e., Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving, Good Friday), leading the congregation in authentic worship
- Direct (or schedule other worship team volunteers to direct) the order of services so that the service moves smoothly through the various elements of music, multimedia, scripture, prayer, announcements, etc.
- Schedule and direct rehearsals in advance of worship services (at present rehearsals are typically held on Friday evenings)
- Provide guidance in the development and execution of high quality worship by working to coordinate instrumentalists and vocalists
- Coordinate Sunday and special holiday worship services in conjunction with pastoral leaders and Worship Board
- Participate in staff meetings (in person or virtually) or discussions with pastoral staff regarding objectives and order of events for worship services.
- Prepare multimedia presentations for congregational viewing of lyrics and other worship comments using church-owned software products (e.g., SongSelect and MediaShout)
- Use an electronic mechanism to track songs used in each worship service as a tool to ensure variety of song selection, minimize repetition from service to service, and provide a mechanism to support worship planning by other worship team members in the
absence of the worship leader
- Lead in creating and implementing new worship opportunities for future worship services (Plan to introduce 1-3 new songs each quarter, focusing on songs appropriate for congregational singing vs. songs more appropriate to a soloist and songs that align
with worship team skills and available instruments. Plan to incorporate non-musical worship components on a periodic basis (i.e., videos, skits, readings, etc.)
- Recruit, train, and mentor worship band members
- Participate in monthly Worship Board meetings. The Worship Board’s purpose is to guide and oversee many components of FBCP worship (music, instruments, skits, services, etc., excluding the communion and sermon) and is responsible for selecting paid worship
- Work within annual FBCP worship budget as maintained by Worship Board.
- Perform other congregational worship-related duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor and Worship Board.
FBCP anticipates the duties associated with this position will required approximately 12-15 hours per week.
For more informatoin or to apply for this ministry position, please send your resume to