CARMEL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Carmel, California
POSITION DESCRIPTION (Revised October 4, 2017)
TITLE: Executive Pastor
PURPOSE: To organize all ministries and staff in order to fulfill the mission, vision and strategic plan of the church. To lead and co-labor with the Senior Pastor in the selection, recruitment, coaching, mentoring, training and supervision
of leaders—including staff, elders, small group leaders, deacons, etc. To oversee and provide leadership for conflict resolution and peacemaking as needed. To provide leadership for Men’s Ministries. To teach and train perspective Covenant Partners (formerly
called members). To lead additional areas, teach, preach and train others as directed by the Senior Pastor. To provide support for the Senior Pastor.
SUPERVISION: The Senior Pastor is the supervisor of the Executive Pastor.
DIRECT REPORTS: Director of Children’s Ministries, Minister of Worship, Director of Women’s Ministries, and Church Administrator.
STATUS: This is a full time, exempt position.
COMPENSATION: Dependent on experience and qualifications.
EVALUATION: There will be performance evaluations after 90, 180 and 365 days. Thereafter, performance evaluations are carried out annually. The initial 90 days are a trial period.
- 1. To organize all ministries and staff in order to fulfill the mission, vision and strategic plan of the church.
2. To lead and co-labor with the Senior Pastor in the selection, recruitment, coaching, mentoring, training and supervision of staff. This includes regular coaching of staff who are direct reports and also staff who are not direct reports.
- Regularly coaches/mentors/trains volunteer leaders including small group leaders and those leading various ministries. Meets with small group leaders no less than once every 2 months. This may include group training events. Co-labors with the Senior Pastor
in the selection of volunteer leaders.
- Provide oversight of small group ministries, curriculum vetting and development, and the development of new leaders and new groups, under the guidance of the Senior Pastor..
- 5. Works through conflicts and complaints using Peacemaking or a similar model of conflict resolution. All conflicts and complaints are directed to the Executive Pastor (unless he/she is the subject of the complaint). The Executive Pastor makes sure that
complaints are taken to the subject of the complaint by the concerned party in a timely manner.
- Provides leadership for Men’s Ministries.
- Provides training for prospective Covenant Partners (members) and updates the training of all Covenant Partners.
- Teaches and preaches as requested by the Senior Pastor, with the expectation that sermons would be prepared and presented between zero to a maximum of eight times in an average year.
- Serves in additional areas as requested by the Senior Pastor.
- If ordained in ECO, serves on the Session with the elders. If not ordained, may be an ex officio member of the Session, depending on the will of the Session.
- Works with the Senior Pastor in a collegial and supportive manner—sees the position as one that supports the Senior Pastor and has no aspirations to become the next Senior Pastor.
KEY RESULTS AREAS (Evaluations are based primarily on KRA performance)
- ORGANIZATIONAL ALIGNMENT: Ministries organized and aligned with vision and strategy
- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: Flourishing, effective staff and volunteer leaders—coach, mentor, train, co-lead
- SMALL GROUPS: Transformative, relational small groups--co-lead
- CONFLICT RESOLUTION: Effective conflict resolution/peacemaking
- MEN’S MINISTRIES: Engaging, biblical, relational, thriving Men’s Ministries
- COVENANT PARTNERS (MEMBERS): Trained and engaged new Covenant Partners
PROJECT AND EVENT-BASED TASKS:
- Organizes annual Men’s retreat
- Works with the Senior Pastor to organize and lead 2 staff retreats and 1 Session retreat per year.
- Works with the Senior Pastor to coach, mentor and supervise staff.
- The Senior Pastor will work with the Executive Pastor to finalize the list of staff who are supervised by the Executive Pastor. The staff to be supervised by the Executive Pastor, includes, but is not limited to: Director of Children’s Ministries, Minister
of Worship, Director of Women’s Ministries, and Church Administrator.
- A growing personal commitment to Jesus Christ, the body of Christ and God’s work in the world.
- Mature Christian character and an ongoing commitment to becoming more Christ-like.
- Experience working with people in a church setting, building teams that achieve results through collaborative and trusting relationships.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence and stability. Able to demonstrate a cheerful, diplomatic and caring attitude while operating in a collegial but challenging atmosphere.
- Must be a positive role model, living above reproach at all times.
- Ability to work flexibly and effectively with volunteers and staff, exhibiting creativity, understanding, and patience.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited seminary.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent follow through.
- Is able to lead and is also able to take direction. Willingness to serve and function as an integral member of the staff team.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and database systems. Able to become proficient quickly with additional computer programs.
- Agreement with the Essential Tenants of our denomination (A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians—ECO) available at
This position includes Sunday mornings and some evening and Saturday meetings. Most of the staff takes Fridays as their day off. To faithfully carry out the many responsibilities of this position will require around 50-55 hours per week.
To apply send the following to email@example.com:
- Complete work history
- Academic history (finalists will be asked to provide their college and graduate school transcripts)
- References: current pastor, previous pastor, past or current supervisor, past or current person you supervised, colleague who observed your work, and a long-term friend. Additional references that can speak to your emotional and spiritual maturity are welcome.
- If available, please send the following personality profiling results: Enneagram, StrengthsFinders, Myers-Briggs and DISC.
- We anticipate receiving many applications. In your cover letter, please address your level of interest and experience with coaching, supervising and being in a support role in a church setting. If possible, please include two or more references of people
whom you have coached.
- Please include your availability—when would you be available to start?
Church website: www.carmelpres.org