Director of Children’s Ministry
Reports To: Lead Pastor Status: Part Time (20 hours per week)
The Director of Children’s Ministry (DOC) will be responsible for leadership and implementation of all children’s programs, birth through fifth grade. The DOC will establish direction and vision for the Children’s Ministries at Outpost Church in collaboration
with the Lead Pastor. The DOC will oversee ministry, with a special emphasis on recruiting, training, and developing leaders who will intentionally serve in Children’s Ministry at Outpost Church so that our kids, and the kids who will join us, will become
fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
The DOC is accountable to the Lead Pastor. The DOC will be a team player, and will work in cooperation with other Pastoral Staff and Ministry Leaders within the church.
A great DOC for Outpost Church is an upbeat, positive, authentic, loving, energizing and inspiring person who is a team builder, a strong leader, spiritually wise, and an effective manager. This person is a competent leader, able to motivate, inspire, train,
and organize a team of adults as well as plan for and carry out programming for Children’s Ministry for all weekend services.
- Weekend Service(s) CM Leadership. Lead the implementation of our Nursery – Kindergarten Program for the Weekend Services with oversight of our Elementary experience.
- Carry out the general vision and direction for the CM at Outpost under the visionary leadership of the Lead Pastor.
- Assume full responsibilities as point person for CM, providing spiritual guidance, vision-casting, establishing points of connection with parents and coaching for CM team members with input from Lead Pastor on planning and direction.
- Provide full, identical, equal quality CM services at all weekend worship services as we grow. Be present for all CM services/activities or appoint designated, responsible leader to be present.
- Ensure that every age group and class has the appropriate staffing each service so that are no vacancies; step in and serve in that capacity yourself, if need be.
- Administration – Provide administrative planning and organization for the Children’s Ministry
- Oversee daily implementation and overall development of the Children’s Ministry budget.
- Work to tailor curriculum for nursery, preschool, and Kindergarten for use throughout the year with Lead Pastor’s input and approval.
- Create, publish, send out, and email monthly schedule to all teachers. Do not leave any “blanks”** Call all teachers and workers with a reminder call.
- Attend or send a representative to our quarterly MLT meeting.
- Team Building – Build and train and excellent team by empowering as many volunteers as possible
- Recruit, enlist and train the appropriate adult leaders who will shepherd, teach and disciple our children
- Utilize the teacher training manual and a step-by-step process for new teacher recruitment, training, and deployment into service
- Whenever possible, invest in, enlist, reach out to and include as many adults and older teens from Outpost as possible in all children’s ministry programming and outreach-type events
- Strive to over-staff ALL POSITIONS, aim to double up with a newer leader shadow learning from a more experienced one at all times
- Call all teachers/helpers – from nursery to Kindergarten workers the week before they serve and encourage/remind them of their service. If appropriate, enlist others to help in the calling – but make sure it happens
- Maintain a high standard when recruiting and selecting CM workers
- Perform background checks on all potential CM workers
- Provide “hands-on” ministry modeling; hold an all-CM team building and training gathering 4 times per year to communicate, vision-cast, train, thank and inspire teachers.
- Staff Team Partnership – Contribute toward the overall mission of Outpost through partnership and team work with the Staff Team and with the general Body
- Come to Staff Meetings prepared to report on highlights of the CM, including any problem or issues
- Participate in staff team-building events such as getaways to a conference or planning day
- Participate in other all-church events in collaboration with the staff team – i.e. Annual Celebration gathering, missions night, baptisms, other fellowship events we might do
- Facilities – Oversee the management of the rooms and resources of the children’s ministry on the Outpost Church campus
- Oversee the overall look and condition of all the CM rooms for Weekend Worship Services and Special Children’s events; engage volunteers and teachers in taking care of it
- Coordinate a process for the consistent re-organization of toys and sanitation of toys in the nurseries and pre-school rooms
- Ensure stocking of all of the following for all CM areas; incident report forms, first aid kit, diapers, wipes, diaper cream, disinfectant spray, hand sanitizer, and any other needed items
- Outreach Events – Carry out children’s outreach events such as VBS
- Lead and produce one or two outside events per year for children of our church to reach out or have fun together outside of church services (caroling, lake, movie night, etc.)
Bachelor’s Degree preferred; Spiritual passion, love for people – energetic disposition, engaging personality, leadership capacity, administrative ability, great communications skills. Must be able to build and manage teams; must be able to multi-task -
must be committed to the vision of Outpost Church. Must be willing to work as a team with all church staff and volunteers to accomplish the overall vision of the church.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, sit, listen and talk.
The employee frequently is required to use hands to grab, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee will sometimes need to help move carts and tables, drive a golf cart, lift boxes and bins with weight of up to 50 Lbs. and assist in the
setting up of tables, EZ ups, displays, and signs.
Part Time role
Current Sample schedule
8 hours Tuesday
6 Hours Wednesday
6 Hours Sunday
*Part of this time includes just ‘going to church’… Hard to calculate the degree to which that is ‘paid work’…
** Some weeks there will not be a midweek meeting; some weeks there will be 2 or so, or an event. Further, Lunch is 30 minutes, unless meeting pastorally with someone. By law, you are required to take a break from your work for 10 minutes during the four
hours of work in the morning, and a ten-minute break during the four hours of work in the afternoon.
You are eligible for 1 week of vacation your first year, 2 weeks of vacation after 3 years of service and 3 weeks after 10 years of service (see the Employee Handbook). The vacation dates to be approved by your direct report. You must ensure that your ministries
will run smoothly in your absence when you take time off and your direct report must approve your replacement. (Vacation dates should not occur during Easter or Christmas Services. You will also accrue sick-time based upon statutory requirements for hours
- Salary range $10,000-12,000 annually DOE
- Also, currently included:
- Gym membership (Axiom Gym- The Village)
- $50 monthly gift card to The Village Coffee (for use as office space)
PERSONAL AND SPIRITUAL REQUIREMENTS
- Professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- Commitment to personal spiritual growth and healthy lifestyle
- Models standards and expectations of leaders within Outpost Church, including . . .
- Be a part of a small group
- Regular attendance at all services and Outpost events
- Abstain from illegal substances, drunkenness, and any immoral behavior.