Soprano Section Leader/Soloist
Date: September 2017
FLSA Category: Occasional Exempt
Function: Support Staff
Revision Target: Spring 2018
Christ Church of Oak Brook (Oak Brook, IL)
POSITION STATUS: Will be open January 1, 2018
Part-time (7 hours/week)
- Thursdays 6:30-9:30 pm (3.0 hours)
Rehearsals with Chamber Ensembles, Chancel Choir, solo work
- Sundays 8:15 am-11:15 or 11:45 am (3-3.5 hours depending on assigned music)
Pre-service rehearsal; two services at 9:00 and 10:45 am (traditional services only)
- Sundays 5:30-7:00 pm (1.5 hours once every 2-3 months)
Provide solo and hymn leadership at the 6:00 pm Classic Communion Service
- Chancel Choir season is Sunday after Labor Day through first Sunday in July; summer scheduling for staff musicians varies July-August
Reports to: Director of Classic Worship and Music
Must be available for major holidays, including Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Good Friday, Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday and special Advent and Lenten concert events with some extra rehearsal times.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in music, voice performance, vocal pedagogy or music education
- Experience working in a ministry or educational setting with amateur and professional musicians
- Sing a variety of choral repertoire from jazz to gospel to classical to contemporary
- Sightread and learn choral repertoire quickly, capably and confidently
- Select and perform quality sacred solo repertoire at a professional level (ability to sing solos from Handel’s
Messiah and other comparable major works required)
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to work as a team player
- Integrity, punctuality and reliability; a heart for Ministry and the volunteers who serve
- Desire to continuously learn and serve others.
- Integrity for work habits and results; punctual, reliable, responsible, approachable and accessible.
- Ability to discern needs and respond appropriately, sensitively and proactively.
- Ongoing desire and effort to grow more Christ-like in character.
- Able to keep high degree of confidentiality.
- High degree of professionalism.