Position Title: Music Minister
Position Type: Exempt/Salaried, Part-time
Enhances the music ministry of the First United Methodist Church by providing musical leadership and choral direction for the traditional Sunday morning services; special services/events, and other music ministry groups.
Reports to: Senior Clergy
Job Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Recruit, instruct, and nurture participants for all music ministry groups which include but are not limited to chancel choir, age-level choirs, men’s/women’s ensembles, and bell choir.
- Study new trends in sacred both for personal growth and as a means of trying to keep the church’s music up-to-date and fresh.
- Work with pastor, organist, choir and/or worship committee to select music, keeping in mind the liturgical calendar, special emphases of each week’s worship time, and/or special events/services.
- Research, select and organize musical selections for the traditional service.
- Conduct weekly choir rehearsals ensuring the choir is prepared and feels positive about the upcoming program.
- Provide music leadership and direct Chancel Choir at the Traditional Worship Service on Sunday mornings.
- Provide all necessary music information for the worship bulletin to the Church Administrative Assistant.
- Provide, as needed, musical leadership and assistance in the area of music for special events such as Vacation Bible School, church group retreats, children’s/youth events, etc.
- Provide, as needed, musical leadership and assistance for weddings and funerals/memorial services.
- Establish and maintain an annual budget for the music program.
- The Music Minister works approximately 20 hours per week. These hours will include the Sunday worship, musical rehearsals, etc. as well as any special events needed or requested.
- Absences will be reported to the Pastor with as much advanced notice as possible.
- The majority of all work is performed on-site.
Specific Vacation Policy:
Vacation will consist of 4 Sundays and 4 Wednesdays per year. Scheduling is recommended as follows: one missed Sunday and one missed Wednesday in the spring. Two missed Sundays and two missed Wednesdays in the summer. One missed Sunday and one missed Wednesday
in the fall. Exceptions to this may be coordinated with the Senior Pastor. No vacation dates will coincide with any special church events such as Christmas or Easter.
- Have a strong knowledge of sacred music literature and traditions.
- Have proficient musical skills to perform, lead, direct, and teach singers in many forms and styles of music so as to meet the needs of the worship service.
- Have the capability to motivate and nurture members of the music ministries.
- Display strong communication skills. Work collaboratively with pianist/organist, choir(s), pastor and worship committee.
- Have proficient musical skills to perform, lead, direct, and teach instrumentalists and vocalists the unique ability to serve as worship leaders for the congregation.
- Have a strong knowledge of resources for legally purchasing music for use in worship.