Student Pastor / Yorktown Baptist Church
General Purpose of Position:
To develop young disciple-makers of Jesus by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to student ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model. The Student
Pastor will be responsible for ministry to the ages of 6th grade through college.
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
- Exhibits a personal and growing relationship with God, a teachable spirit, and a healthy family life.
- Possesses a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field (masters preferred), experience in senior high youth ministry, basic administrative skills, and a personal spiritual life congruent with biblical mandates for leaders (1 Timothy 3:1-7)
- Capable of creating and executing a long-term vision for Yorktown’s student ministry in alignment with the overall vision of Yorktown.
- Called to, and gifted for, youth ministry, loves young people, and has a passion for evangelism and outreach, both personally and at the ministry level.
- Has a strong biblical and theological background, and is in agreement with Yorktown’s Statement of Faith.
- Self-motivated leader who is proactive and intentional in starting ministries that align with vision and purpose.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and lead effective student ministries implementing Experiencing God, Equipping Each Other, Engaging our Community, and Extending the Kingdom.
- Recruit, train, and shepherd volunteer leaders with diverse gifts and personalities.
- Provide counseling and spiritual direction to students on an individual basis.
- Maintain contact with students and parents, keeping them informed of ongoing activities and opportunities. Keep parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement.
- Support Yorktown parents in effectively fulfilling their Christian parenting roles, in concert with other pastoral staff.
- Seek to integrate students into all phases of church life to create a culture that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to unite with and complement other church ministries.
- Development of a semester long plan of action encompassing larger initiatives and special events as well as weekly Bible studies and meetings.
- Development of a discipleship program which identifies key prospects and charts a course of spiritual development designed to raise them to a leadership position. The adult ministry at Yorktown Baptist can assist with resources and by providing possible
disciple-makers and mentors.
- Attend worship services, as well as other meetings and events at Yorktown
- Participate in annual job performance review
- Present an annual student ministry budget proposal
- Stay current with student ministry practices by reading and attending student conferences, etc.