POSITION: Assistant Pastor for Outreach and Discipleship
WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (Evangelical Presbyterian Church)
Lubbock, Texas - wpclubbock.org
The role of the Assistant Pastor for Outreach and Discipleship is to facilitate the local and international mission objectives of Westminster Presbyterian Church (“WPC”) and to lead and develop the discipleship ministries of WPC.
- Create, facilitate and lead local outreach events in both “faith neutral” locations (such as, smaller, discipleship group sized events off-campus) and within the context of WPC’s facilities (such as larger, service oriented events like
“Stop Hunger Now”). 4 large events annually (this includes Advent and Holy Week events) in partnership with Fellowship Committee.
- Initiate contact with members of Lubbock community through one-on-one personal interaction and invitation on a weekly basis (especially with groups that meet on WPC’s campus, i.e., “Raider Sisters for Christ”; “Navigators”; “Parent’s
Night Out” and others as opportunity permits)
- Lead, serve and support the Missions Committee of WPC in their international mission efforts (including leadership on at least one annual mission trip and participation in local missions). Lead, serve and support the Connections Ministry
of WPC (our social media strategy team) in partnership with Elder for Connections Ministry.
- Develop, lead and oversee comprehensive discipleship programs for adults, including Men’s Ministry; Women’s Ministry; Wednesday night programming (in partnership with Discipleship Committee and Senior Pastor); Small groups (which will form and disband plan-fully
and intermittently throughout the year); Adult Sunday School (coordinating with adult volunteers with occasional teaching); Youth and Children’s ministry (with Youth Director, Nursery Director, College Director and Children’s Director as direct reports);
New Member Classes; occasional ministry to our “Primetimers” ministry; Retreats
- Attract, develop, motivate, and retain excellent volunteer staff, with the advice and direction of the Discipleship Committee, Senior Pastor and Session of WPC.
Additional Pastoral Duties
- Regular congregational care responsibilities in partnership with Senior Pastor (hospital calls, weddings, funerals, home communion).
- Assisting in weekly worship services.
- Up to 12 annual opportunities to preach in the context of worship.
- Fulfill administrative tasks such as but not limited to mailings, databases, ordering discipleship materials, facilitating travel arrangements for missions teams.
- Attend continuing education seminars and conferences pertaining to Discipleship and Evangelism, Missions.
- Develop and manage with the Missions Committee and Discipleship/Evangelism Committee the program budget.
Accountability and Evaluation:
- Reports directly to Head of Staff and Session.
- Participate with all ministry staff in team building exercises to include but not limited to, weekly staff meetings, staff retreat and staff gatherings for fellowship, discipleship and training.
- Performance reviews by Head of Staff and Personnel after the first 90 days and annually thereafter.
- This position is a 3 year, renewable term with a pathway to Associate Pastor standing.
- Must be committed disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, with personal maturity in leading and serving others.
- Have a sense of calling to the spiritual development of persons; a heart for evangelism; possessing personal courage and perseverance in initiating new relationships (a natural “people person”); willingness to be trained and professionally
- Have a strong commitment to own spiritual, physical, and emotional well-being.
- Have a strong commitment to servant leadership, working well independently, as well as part of a team.
- Master of Arts or Master of Divinity degree from an accredited Christian College or Seminary.
- Scriptural knowledge, theological competency, and knowledge of and adherence to EPC doctrine and Christian conviction.
- Two to four years of ministry experience. Sales experience a plus.
- Highly relational and team building skills with strong emphasis in administrating and organizing a church program.
- Technical skills in computer use, to include but not limited to word processing and communication through social media, Facebook, text, email, etc.
- This is a full-time salaried position
- Salary shall be competitive and will include benefits.
- Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory completion of a background check and credit check.
- Personal and professional references required.
*Please provide a detailed resume with all relevant experience and references.