Job Title: Director of Student Ministries
Team: Leadership Team
Directly Reports To: Executive Pastor
Work Schedule: Full Time
1. Roles and Responsibilities:
The Director of Student Ministries primary role is to build a safe environment in which students can be lead to become fully devoted followers of Christ. To provide vision and leadership in all areas of student ministry (Emerge); including Junior and Senior
High. The Director of Student Ministries will provide oversight and multifaceted covering to each sub-department of Emerge while carrying out the overall vision of Word of Grace Community Church. They will set goals and monitor results of each sub-department
to ensure goals are accomplished and healthy growth continues. Their main focus will be leadership development and direction of all student ministry.
2. Principle Responsibilities
- To oversee Emerge ministries including:
- Junior High Ministry
- Senior High School Ministry
- Meet weekly with overseeing Executive Pastor
- Attend Ministry Staff and Executive Staff meetings when scheduled
- Preaching and teaching as needed to fill in for Emerge student ministry team
- Administration of Emerge Ministries includes:
- Effectively manage all direct reports by conducting weekly or bi-weekly meetings for encouragement, vision, accountability, and action items
- Manage and oversee the budgets and expenses of all Emerge departments
- Oversee workplace policies and procedures and ensure consistent application of these practices for team members
- Support the other ministries of the church by:
- Teaching Leadership and Equipping classes when requested
- Ministering at the Altar, Guest Reception, or Weekend Service
- Oversight each weekend as well as special service nights arriving 30 minutes early and leaving 30 minutes after the last service
- To assist in providing strategic direction to each Emerge area.
- To provide management and oversight to Emerge team members.
- To function as a spiritual leader, mentor, coach and counselor for Emerge team members.
- To properly handle broad impacting issues, confrontations, consistent problems, church discipline and/or volatile situations within the Emerge areas when needed with the goal of reconciliation, healing and understanding
- Staff/Leadership/Volunteer Development
- This would include coaching, mentoring, vision casting, staff meetings, staff retreats and professional development initiatives.
- Build/Develop a Speaking Team
- You are not expected to do all the speaking, even though you will speak a lot. You are required though to build, lead, teach and equip leaders under you to be speakers in the student program with the intent of preparing for future church growth as well
as just having a deep leadership bench.
- Build/ Develop a Worship Team
- Develop and maintain a worship training assimilation for Junior High, Senior High and College Age students (this age bracket will be collaborated with the worship director). The training should be for instruments and vocals with the purpose of youth lead
worship and future weekend worship team members.
3. Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Leadership and management skills, to be well organized; able to make quality judgement calls and a team building mentality
- Proficiency in meeting task deadlines/timelines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Skilled in crisis management
- Able to prioritize time
- Problem Solving and Decision Making:
- Solution oriented
- Positive attitude and positive approach to problem solving
- Prompt and prepared for all meetings, services and events
- Profession in appearance and communication
- A can-do approach to new ideas and initiatives
- Essential Traits:
- Highly Self-Motivated
- Initiator (visionary and goal setting
- Quick thinker and reactor
- Detail focused
- Effective people skills
- Effective at time management
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with setting departmental/team budgets
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Maintain composure during stressful situations
- Teaching and Preaching
- Team and Pastoral Leadership
- Confrontational when needed
- High School Diploma or GED
- Preferred candidates should have a college degree
- Preferred candidates should have at least 3-5 years related experience.
4. Key Performance Measurements:
- Annual Self Evaluation
- Annual Ministry Appraisal
- Annual Performance Evaluation
*This description is not all-inclusive, and other duties may be assigned as necessary.