JOB DESCRIPTION: Genesis Church Executive Pastor
With strong leadership gifts, this person must know how to lead in his or her own style, yet follow the
Lead Pastor. The Genesis Executive Pastor (EP) has two fields of ministry and staff oversight:
1. Primarily at Petoskey: ministry strategy for the 10-Year Vision, staff and volunteer oversight; and 2. Secondarily, Multi-Site operation systems of By-Laws, Finance, Communication, and Elders
Relationally, the Executive Pastor will:
• Participate on the Staff and Pastoral Team, attend and participate in the life of Genesis Church - Petoskey
• Report to the Lead Pastor. Oversee all Petoskey staff and leaders. Oversee all multisite operations staff.
1. Petoskey Ministry Strategy—with a team of key leaders and deacons, the XP ensures that the stated vision and direction of the church is implemented consistently and graciously in the entire church. The XP needs to know how to
plan, strategize and mobilize staff. The XP mentors key leaders and deacons, growing staff to become gifted leaders in their areas. The XP takes the 10-Year Vision of the Lead Pastor and implements it with all of the ministry staff of pastors, directors,
deacons, and coordinators. Aspects include: ministry evaluation, goal setting and strategy, development and mentoring.
- Ministry Evaluation is the process of quarterly, semi-annual and/or annual evaluations of ministry. Various metrics and dashboards can be used to determine effectiveness, such as baptisms, church attendance,
small group attendance, local ministry service, global missions participation, etc. Written or oral evaluations can be used.
- Goal setting and strategy is the formal process of alignment of deacon and departmental ministries with the stated church vision. The goals can be quantified numerically or expressed qualitatively (for example:
To be a loving church). The strategy can be developed internally, or augmented by external experts in strategic coaching.
- Development and mentoring is the “walk around” aspect of knowing every staff person. Job descriptions are honed to maximize the giftedness of each person and exclude limitations as much as possible. Personal
coaching will mentor and improve staff to reach their potential. Work closely with members of the Genesis staff, effectively uniting with and complementing all ministry leaders.
- Facilities will oversee a facilities manager, establishing a ten-year plan for upkeep, renovations and new buildings. The look and feel of the facilities must get in alignment with the vision of the church.
2. Office Operations - with an office staff and volunteers, the XP ensures that the operations of the church are running smoothly. Difficulties and emergencies are handled effectively and spiritually.
- Communications include: website, the App, Happenings, Facebook, and Twitter. It also includes Information Technology: computers, software, software as a service, web integration, campus Wi-Fi, etc.
- Finance includes: oversight of budgets, cash flow, income and expenses, insurance, payroll, and human resources
- Staffing will have aspects of pay scale, hiring, reviewing, mentoring and terminating staff. Ensure that staff and department meetings are vibrant and effective is a must.
- Fulfill the character qualifications and duties of Elder in the spirit of 1 Timothy 3:1-7
- Agree with and adhere to Genesis Church Statement of Faith, Constitution and By Laws
- Have a strong gift of leadership and be able to develop leaders of leaders.
- Understand the Genesis Petoskey vision, purpose and direction
- Demonstrate wisdom in decisions, actions & recommendations
- Evaluate decisions/actions by their overall impact and long-term implications
- Maintain godly and strong working relationships with all pastors, elders, staff and volunteers
Submit resume, 3 references, and copy of your license to preach or ordination papers to
Genesis Church by email at firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Executive Pastor position).
EXECUTIVE PASTOR AD www.genesiswired.com
Genesis Church is in need of a full-time executive pastor, who can bring strength to our people, staff and systems for the next stages of growth. Genesis is a multi-site church in Northern Michigan, partnered with the Converge church planting movement. The
Executive Pastor will serve the Petoskey congregation and some central systems utilized by the multi-sites.
Genesis – Petoskey is twelve years old and now undertaking their first building project. Genesis - Boyne city is six years old. Genesis – Harbor Springs is two years old. Each site was born out of evangelism and community service. Each meets in the public
schools of their respective cities, with one administrative office suite for the central staff.
We have a lot of young families and new believers, and our service has a contemporary worship style. Small groups support the discipleship process and move us into community service. In 10 years, we envision God using us to equip 300 families to be Christ-centered,
knowing their call and maximizing their impact for God's Kingdom
Our region is a Lake Michigan destination with proximity to large inland lakes and ski resorts. Our cities have a warm, small town feel. Excellent schools are strong in sports and robotics.
Submit resume and contact information for 3 references to:
Genesis Church by email email@example.com (or mail P.O. Box 2008, Petoskey, MI 49770)