Qualifications: College or graduate degree in Christian Education or comparable ministry experience desired.
The minister to youth should feel called by God to serve the youth of Farmville Presbyterian Church with eagerness and love. He/she should:
- Have a life controlling love for Jesus Christ, children and youth.
- Possess a vision for the spiritual growth of youth and their life together with peers, families and the larger church community.
- Display spiritual maturity and kindness in all interactions with church members and work with the church staff in a collegial manner.
The youth minister shall invest approximately seven hours per week into building relationships with youth and providing opportunities for their spiritual growth. He/she will organize and lead effective youth (grades 6-12) programs implementing fellowship,
worship, biblical teachings, discipleship, as well as, ministry and mission opportunities. Specific responsibilities include:
- Create and execute a long term vision for Farmville Presbyterian Church’s youth ministry.
- Plan, coordinate and lead weekly youth group on Sunday nights during the school year for youth in grades 6-12.
- Rotate teaching responsibilities of the youth Sunday School class during the school year as part of a team.
- Provide counseling and spiritual direction to youth on an individual basis, within the guidelines of the Farmville Presbyterian Church Child Protection Policy.
- Attend youth member activities outside of church (approximately 1-2 events per youth per year.) Possible events include sporting events, concerts, award ceremonies, plays, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, etc.
- Plan at least two youth activities during the summer.
- Provide information for and encourage attendance to summer camps.
- Coordinate at least two special mission activities per year for youth.
- Coordinate Youth Sunday once per year.
- Regularly attend the Christian Education Committee meetings to provide updates on youth activities. Also present a yearly budget proposal and goals for the upcoming year to the Christian Education Committee.
- Coordinate and participate in youth fundraising, in accordance with bylaws of the church.
- Partner with the pastor and CE committee to provide a confirmation class for youth every 3 years or more frequently if needed.
- Supply youth information for the monthly church newsletter.
- Send out a calendar monthly to youth and parents regarding upcoming events.
- Regularly worship at Farmville Presbyterian Church, occasionally participate in worship services in coordination with the pastor and attend other events of the church as time allows.
- Be mentored by the pastor and be accountable to the direction of the session and the Christian Education Committee.
The salary is up to $9,000 per year depending on education and experience and will be paid twice monthly.