Purpose of Lead Pastor Position
Demonstrate and provide spiritual leadership to the Body of Christ at FBCY (First Baptist Church of Ypsilanti) by collaborating with
FBCY church staff, elders, key ministry leaders, and congregational members as needed to carry out the mission of the church.
Significance of the Position
As this Body of Christ continues to worship, grow and serve, we have a desire to partner with our Lead Pastor to have a greater impact in our community and be successful in making disciples to further God’s Kingdom.
The Pastor will be responsible for facilitating worship services, administering the Ordinances, ministering to the congregation and, with the elders, overseeing the ministries of the church. The Pastor will serve as an ex-officio member of standing and
ministry teams, but may not vote, make motions or be counted in determining whether a quorum is present. The Pastor is not required to attend all meetings.
The Pastor derives authority from God’s call and shall function as a minister of Jesus Christ through the church. Entrusted with the Gospel, equipped and enabled by God’s Spirit and professional education, the Pastor is accountable to God, the congregation,
the Elders and American Baptist Churches of Michigan.
Staff Relationships and Authority
1) The Pastor functions as leader, but each staff member is to be valued as part of a team as they use their gifts for building up of the body of Christ. Job titles are used to designate lines of responsibility, accountability and authority.
2) The Pastor is directly accountable for building effective staff relationships and for the delegated ministries performed by staff. In turn, all full-time and part-time staff are accountable to the church.
First Baptist Church of Ypsilanti seeks to partner with an individual with a pastoral call who exhibits the following:
1) Experience: Had a previous successful pastoral role in a church or significant involvement and success in other roles at a prior church. Has worked closely in unity with church leadership and honors their spiritual support, counsel, and accountability.
Has experience in using healthy and God-honoring relational and conflict resolution skills.
2) Personality: Is approachable with a high level of collegiality with staff and members of the congregation. Able to maintain a sense of gratitude in all aspects of life.
3) Character: Is holy, humble, transparent, trustworthy, teachable, and faithful, with a strong personal prayer life, that aligns very closely to the Biblical standards for elders (Titus 1:6-9; I Timothy 3:1-7). Displays the fruit of the Holy Spirit
(Galatians 5:22, 23).
4) Gifting: Has a developed gift in preaching and is able to teach theological truths in sermons relating to the Christian, unchurched or de-churched person. Invests in and disciples those who report to the Pastor, and has a true and active shepherd’s
heart. Exhibits other gifts which would benefit and build up the local church.
5) Passion: Loves Christ passionately. Embraces a proper view of the sinful, grievously lost nature of natural man, promotes a strong view of the pre-eminence of Christ in the life of the believer and the local church, and promotes God’s vision for the
6) Servant Leader: A strong, empowering, and collaborative leader who is able to effectively communicate FBCY’s vision and direction, as well as its missional purpose in the community. Able to develop, clarify, and cast God-given vision for the future
of FBCY with the leading of the Holy Spirit and the assistance of FBCY leadership. Able to assess the past and present as well as step forward toward the future through innovation and implementation.
7) Theology: Is in agreement with the beliefs of FBCY as outlined in the church constitution.
- Qualifications consistent with this position as outlined in Scripture
- Master of Divinity or similar degree from an accredited seminary or in the process of completing one
- Ordained or willing to become Ordained.
- Accept the License to Preach designation offered by FBCY.
- Demonstrated pastoral experience in a church of similar or larger size desirable
- Strong organizational and communication skills
Salary and benefits:
First Baptist Church offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package. Minimum base salary $55,000 and up based on qualifications and experience (Split between Salary & Housing Allowance [tax-free]. Benefits include medical, dental and vision
insurance, retirement, life insurance, long and short term disability options, and social security offset. If in process of Masters of Divinity there is incentive upon completion.
Prior to Application:
Please review our church profile and watch a short video prior to submitting your application. This will allow you to pray and discern whether you would feel called to serve at FBCY. The search team would covet your taking the time to pray and
consider all this as we would like to have discussions with Pastors who are compatible with FBCY.
Church profile: (copy & paste into your browser if link doesn't work)
Video: (copy & paste into your browser if link doesn't work)
Application: After prayerful consideration and reviewing this opportunity, please submit the following application materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us
Cover Letter – introducing yourself and your interest in the position
Resume/CV – your ministry experience, educational background, and at least three references
Doctrinal Statement – a 1-to-4 page summary on your theological views on core doctrines
Brief philosophy of pastoral ministry – a 1-to-2 page summary of your philosophy and practice of pastoral ministry
Narrative of your salvation testimony
Two sermons – including a sermon outline and a video or audio recording of recent sermons (or a link to a host site if the files are too large, e.g. DropBox or Google Drive)