ST. PAUL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Position Description for Director of Student Ministries
Church Vision and Mission:
To make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of Abilene.
A director of youth ministries needs to demonstrate the following:
- Completion of college-level or higher course work in Christian Education and/or Youth Ministry, and/or comparable experience is desired.
- A personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord as well as a strong desire to serve within the church.
- A sense of calling to youth ministry and a desire to deepen in a relationship with God.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, lead, and guide projects and activities related to youth ministries.
- Competence in basic lay counseling and listening skills appropriate for youth ministry.
- Willingness to work cooperatively in a team environment, to maintain a positive outlook and disposition, and to be flexible in solving problems.
- The ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
- Weekly attendance at worship at St. Paul UMC is expected.
- Complete Safe Sanctuary Training.
- Willingness to steal candy from the secretary’s desk each day.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Planning, conducting, coordinating, evaluating, and providing resources for the church’s ministry to youth (grade 6-12). Provide programming for Wednesday Nights and Sunday School.
2. Build relationships of integrity with youth that become the basis of meeting needs, sharing Christ, and involving youth in peer ministry with other youth.
3. Coordinate all aspects of the 6-12 Grade Youth Group, ensuring there is opportunity to
develop fellowship, spiritual formation, discipleship and the experiencing of Christian community
4. Enlist adult and youth to participate in brain storm sessions to plan and evaluate events.
5. Plan outings for youth in keeping with the vision and mission of the church- example might be service projects, mission trips, retreats, fun trips, etc.
6. Be responsible for securing all necessary funds, travel arrangements, leadership, adult chaperones, etc. for youth trips. Provide opportunities for worship, prayer and growing throughout youth trips, retreats, and mission experiences.
7. Develop relationships and maintain regular communication with parents of participating youth.
8. Help volunteer youth workers develop mentoring relationships with youth and provide training aimed at leadership and faith development among the youth.
- Attend regularly and specially called staff meetings and retreats.
- Attend Administrative Board, Charge Conference and other meetings as needed or requested.
- Prepare, submit, and administer a youth budget and annual goals for the church fiscal year in consultation with ministerial staff and Committee on Finance.
- Prepare and submit summary reports of the mission, goals, plans and successes in youth ministry as requested.
- Conduct the ministry in compliance with the SPUMC Safe Sanctuary policies and offer training and background check for adult volunteers.
- The Director of Student Ministries is hired by the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) and reports to the SPRC.
- The Director of Student Ministries shall perform the above responsibilities under the direction and supervision of the Senior Pastor.
- The Director of Student Ministries shall meet with the Senior Pastor for clarification of the vision for this ministry, strategic planning, and for guidance, prayer and support.
- The Director of Student Ministries shall be evaluated annually by the Senior Pastor and SPRC.
- The SPRC will also be available to provide support and hear concerns.