Pastor of Spiritual Development
Overseeing Adult Discipleship & Student Ministry
Overview & Why: The position is a full-time, dual role task. The dual role of this position is a temporary condition for 2-4 years. The Pastor of Spiritual Development will oversee Discipleship Ministry (adults) and Student Ministry (6th-12th
grade). Both areas are important to the health of Grace Bible Church (GBC) and our effectiveness in making disciples of Jesus Christ in our community. To fill this position the candidate must have good time management skills and use the art of delegation to
succeed. The plan is for the Pastor of Spiritual Development to eventually be dedicated to adult spiritual development and be a part of the preaching/teaching team. When this transition takes place, a Student Pastor will be recruited to oversee student ministry.
The Pastor of Spiritual Development reports and is accountable to the Lead Pastor of GBC. All leaders and volunteers engaged in the Discipleship Ministry and/or Student Ministry will report directly to the Pastor of Spiritual Development.
Discipleship Ministry: At GBC there are two venues for adult discipleship:
- Electives are small group bible studies that focus on biblical topics, passages or entire books of the Bible.
- Life Groups are small group bible studies that focus on developing relationships by discussing and applying the previous week’s message.
Church members are encouraged to participate in either a Life Group or an elective (some choose to do both, but it is not expected). Currently, about 30% of our adults are participating in either a Life Group or an Elective. GBC has a goal of 60% adult participation
in small groups.
Responsibilities of Discipleship Ministry
- Recruit, train, and encourage leaders for both Electives and Life Groups.
- Promote and encourage church members to attend either a Life Group or an Elective.
- Create & coordinate the annual discipleship calendar. (Electives & Life Groups have 4 semesters annually. Each semester is 8-10 weeks.)
- Create and oversee the annual Discipleship Ministry budget.
Student Ministry: At GBC there are two venues for student ministry:
- Electric (6th-8th grade)
- The Well (9th-12th grade)
Electric takes place on Tuesday evenings. The Well is held on Sunday evenings. Currently, about 50 students participate in the Student Ministry at GBC. GBC desires to reach as many students as possible for Christ, but we also place equal importance upon
students becoming disciples. We want the student ministry to aim for both numerical attendance and healthy discipleship practices.
Responsibilities of Student Ministry
- Recruit, train, and encourage leaders involved in Student Ministry.
- Plan, promote, and coordinate Student Ministry weekly activities and bible studies.
- Create and coordinate Student Ministry annual calendar. Calendar should include annual mission trip or summer camp, ministry opportunities, and activities related to having a healthy, relevant student ministry.
- Create and oversee the annual Student Ministry budget.
- Hold regular and scheduled office hours each week.
- Assist with hospital/shut-in/ill member visitation when needed.
- Build and maintain healthy relationships with church staff, church members, and non-church members.
- Preach between 5-8 times annually (this responsibility will be discussed further during the interview process).
- College/seminary degree in ministry related area or at least 5 years of experience in ministry related employment.
- Must agree with the Grace Bible Church’s Statement of Faith
(www.grace-biblechurch.org - found under the “About Us” tab)
- Must have a “Can Do” attitude. (Every pastor at GBC oversees tasks or performs duties that fall outside of their job description from time to time. We are team players getting done what needs to get done for God and His people. The attitude is required.)
- Must be able to manage the ministry using good communication skills (written and verbal).
- Must perform high-quality work with minimum supervision meeting assigned deadlines.
- Must demonstrate the ability to think strategically while staying focused on the accomplishment of current departmental priorities.
- Must be able to handle confidential matters and material with integrity.
If you would like more information about Grace Bible Church, our history and activities, as well as the community of New Franklin, please visit our website at www.grace-biblechurch.org