WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR IN A HIGH SCHOOL PASTOR
Cedar Mill Bible Church
Cedar Mill Bible Church is a Kingdom advancing, outreach focused, multi-generational church, committed to the next generation. Our staff is a collaborative, creative team that enjoys life and ministry together. We are highly committed to the scriptures,
living out the Great Commission and seeing people’s whole lives transformed by the Gospel. This commitment drives us to look for a pastor who understands the crucial role that they will play in the lives of students, as well as the church body as a whole.
We are looking for a pastor that also has an understanding of the urgency and importance of raising up students who experience Jesus and walk in his will and grace; students who experience the power of the Holy Spirit and represent Christ’s kingdom in the
Cedar Mill Bible Church seeks to hire a pastor who will run the high school ministry in a highly relational way, through programs and events such as weekly gatherings, mission trips, summer camps, and various serving opportunities. We are looking for a person
who takes outreach and transforming discipleship seriously as they seek to share the heart and person of Christ with students.
Pastoral staff is held to the highest standard of biblical character. This is a person who is not only involved with shaping the beliefs, ideals, theology and practice of the next generation, but also be a person on our pastoral team who will speak into
and help shape the culture of our overall church. The high school pastor will lead the way in exemplifying the kind of character that can only flow from a Spirit empowered, passionate relationship with Jesus. This person should model an authentic faith in
Christ. They should be able to both give and receive criticism with a posture of love and desire to learn and grow. This person should be able to maintain and work toward healthy, mature relationships even when it is not easy.
Below are areas that we feel are key to the role of high school pastor:
- Calling – A high school pastor will have to manage expectations that come from every direction. We are looking for someone who feels called to this ministry and this church and more importantly, has been called into a life of service to the body of Christ.
- Collaboration – They must be a team player. This person will be intricately involved on our staff team. The High School Ministry of Cedar Mill is central and integral to us accomplishing our kingdom mission. The desire and ability to partner with various
other staff and ministries is crucial.
- Connection – They should be able to form a deep, strong, significant connection with students and understand their culture. In some ways they must see themselves as a missionary to youth culture who helps train other missionaries (adult leaders) and empower
the locals (the students) for missionary work. Through their role they should be able to challenge high school students into adulthood while growing them into a deeper relationship with Christ. Another important connection to be made is with students from
our Spanish Speaking Congregation. Looking for pathways, and creating an inviting atmosphere for these students to connect, is very important to us as we push forward together as one church.
- Charisma – This person should have catalytic energy in their relationship with Christ and in their own authentic way be able to share that contagious energy with the group.
- Communication – The high school pastor must be able to effectively communicate to both students and parents as well as the high school volunteer staff, larger pastoral team and church as a whole. This person should be able to teach in ways that are biblically
robust and faithful as well as culturally and developmentally interesting, important and applicable.
- College/YA – One area of potential growth at Cedar Mill is with our college/young adults. Leadership is already working to bolster and grow this community and we are looking for someone who is excited to join us in the leadership and development of this
The team at Cedar Mill both values and believes it is essential that the person hired for this role have chemistry with the rest of the staff and pastoral team. They must lead a ministry that does not “exist on an island” but is a part of the larger vision
for discipleship. This person must be willing to work closely with the rest of our Next Gen. team in order to build on the foundations that have been laid in our children’s ministry, our middle school ministry and launch students forward into what lies beyond.
The connection that this person feels to their team, as well as the team at large, is central to their success at Cedar Mill. Is this person able to relate, connect, laugh, share, forgive, and collaborate? Do they have a sense of humor, the ability to laugh
at themselves, and enjoy the process of being in ministry together? If you love being part of a team and joining arms with people who will listen to, encourage, challenge, and partner with you to accomplish a shared vision, then we’d love to talk to you more
about this position.