First Mennonite Church
Pretty Prairie, Kansas - United States
Denomination: Bible Church
Church Size: 151 to 250
Email: Contact Us
Pretty Prairie First Mennonite Church, located 3 miles east of Pretty Prairie, Kansas, initially a member of the Western District Conference, was organized 10 October 1884, with 88 members of Swiss German descent, from Volhynia, under the leadership of J. J. Flickinger, the first pastor. The first services were held in the homes of John B. Graber and Andrew Schwartz. In 1886 the first meetinghouse was moved on the church ground. This church was sold in 1891. The second church, built in 1891, was destroyed by a tornado in 1897. A third structure, built in the same year on the same foundation, burned down in May 1905. The fourth church, built in 1905, was replaced in 1927 by a larger building, which seats 900. The parsonage was acquired in 1919. This church has a Sunday school, Christian Endeavor, and a sewing society.