Grace Community Church
Overbrook, Kansas - United States
STATEMENT OF FAITH:
- There is one God, who is infinitely perfect, existing eternally in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ is true God and true man. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died upon the cross, the Just for the unjust, as a substitutionary sacrifice, and all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood. He arose from the dead according to the Scriptures. He is now at the right hand of the Majesty on high as our great High Priest.
- The Holy Spirit is a divine person, sent to indwell, guide, teach and empower the believer, and convince the world of sin, of righteousness and of judgment.
- The Old and New Testaments, inerrant as originally given, were verbally inspired by God and are a complete revelation of His will for the salvation of mankind. They constitute the divine and only rule of Christian faith and practice.
- Man was originally created in the image and likeness of God; he fell through disobedience, incurring thereby both physical and spiritual death. All persons are born with a sinful nature, are separated from the life of God, and can be saved only through the atoning work of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Salvation has been provided through Jesus Christ for all people; and those who repent and believe in Him are born again of the Holy Spirit, receive the gift of eternal life, and become the children of God.
- The Church consists of all those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, are redeemed through His blood, and are born again of the Holy Spirit. Christ is the head of the body, the Church, which has been commissioned by Him to go into all the world as a witness, preaching the gospel to all nations.
- The local church is a body of believers in Christ who are joined together for the worship of God, for edification through the Word of God, for prayer, fellowship, the proclamation of the gospel and the observance of the ordinances of baptism and the Lord’s Supper as acts of obedience.
- There shall be a bodily resurrection of the just and of the unjust; for the former, a resurrection unto life; for the latter, a resurrection unto judgment.
- The second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ is imminent and will be personal and visible. This is the believer’s blessed hope and is a vital truth which is an incentive to holy living and faithful service.
WHO WE ARE:
Grace Community Church in Overbrook came into existence on January 1, 2005. Prior to that time the church had been called the First Christian Church of Overbrook, Kansas. The name was changed in an effort to better define who the church was doctrinally and to exemplify the desire to be simply a non-denominational Bible church proclaiming the truth of God’s word. First Christian Church, on the other hand, began with a Bible Study of new and committed believers seeking God’s will for their collective lives. Six families met in Bible Study for three years. After serious consultation and prayer, God’s Spirit led them to form the body of Christians called First Christian Church.
The very first service as a congregation was held on April 13, 1975 with over 50 in attendance. The church met in a house that was located on the current property of six acres. Once the group grew to about 70 people, they added to the garage areas of the house and moved the worship service into the garage. The church continued to grow to over 100 in attendance, and exactly one year after the first service was held, the current Administration Center was dedicated. Steady growth again caused the group of believers to reassess the situation of needed space and in 1988 a Christian Education Center was completed.
God continued to pour out His Grace and Spirit upon the First Christian Church of Overbrook and once again in mid-1995 the church entered into its third building program. In late 1996, a 450+ seat Worship Center and Activity Room were completed. In the Fall of 2004, it was again determined that the current facility was not large enough, and the construction of a new 800 seat Worship Center was begun. That facility was dedicated in September, 2005.
It is truly marvelous how God has and continues to work in Grace Community Church in Overbrook, and is now drawing people from surrounding communities. People are committing their lives and growing in the Lord Jesus far beyond anyone’s expectations! To God be the Glory!