This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Youth Ministry
Mountain View Presbyterian Church
Marysville, Washington, United States
Date Posted: 10/04/2012
Categories: Youth Pastor
Denominations: Presbyterian -- PCUSA
Church Size: 251 to 350
Job Type: Full-Time
MOUNTAIN VIEW PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRY
JOB DESCRIPTION (Full-time Position)
Purpose: The purpose of the position of Youth Director is to reach out to the youth (6th-12th grade) and their families within the congregation and in the community sharing the good news of Jesus Christ. Helping them grow and to deepen their faith through worship, education, missional, and recreational opportunities.
1. To plan, coordinate, lead, and evaluate a comprehensive program of spiritual nurturing and Christian education in line with the Mission of Mountain View Presbyterian Church.
2. Recruit, equip, motivate, support and supervise a team of adult volunteers to model Christ and minister to and with the youth in various capacities.
3. Be an active part of Mountain View's worshipping and faith community; encouraging the youth to also follow this example.
4. Effectively ''connect'' with the youth on an interpersonal level meeting with and providing pastoral care as appropriate.
5. Report to the Pastor concerning fiscal needs of the program for all projects and prepare a yearly budget for the Youth program. He/she will be fiscally responsible with all Youth funds of the church.
6. Oversee the Sunday morning program in Church School for Jr./Sr. High.
7. To develop and direct weekly programs for the Jr. High and Sr. High Youth. Programs should include: (a) Regular time for Christian fellowship and study, (b) Service and mission opportunities, (c) Participation in programs such as camps, retreats, work missions, training events, (d) Games and recreational activities.
8. Communicate with parents of youth by individual contact, group meetings, as well as informational meetings providing an environment that is inclusive of them in the ministry.
9. To oversee and participate in a yearly Sr. High mission trip including raising of funds and recruitment of volunteer leaders.
10. To plan, oversee, and participate in special events for youth such as summer camps, retreats and other activities. This will include one weekend retreat per year with the goal of group building and spiritual development.
11. Write articles for the monthly newsletter and information for the weekly worship bulletin.
12. To develop rapport with the youth in our community through visitation, visibility, and contact at school and community events such as sports and concerts. Network with other youth leaders in the area.
13. Establish a student leadership team to help facilitate the Youth ministries.
14. Secondary Ministry Emphasis: Children’s Ministry, including (a) To help plan and participate in V.B.S.,(with special emphasis on encouraging involvement of Jr. and Sr. High students). (b) To help provide and promote training opportunities for Sunday School teachers.
15. Attend weekly staff meetings.
16. Develop a yearly work-plan.
17. Perform other duties as assigned by the Pastor.
1. The Director of Youth Ministry shall be supervised and evaluated by the Pastor.
2. Weekly meetings with the Pastor.
3. The Youth Director is responsible to the Session through the Pastor.
1. Bachelor's degree in theology, Christian studies or a related field and; OR experience and training working with youth that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
2. Possess the ability to work well with others; be a team player who has a heart for young people, be self-directed, a skilled communicator and a team builder of volunteers.
3. A strong personal Christian commitment evidenced in mature personal faith and lifestyle.
4. Leadership, organizational, and communication skills, proficient computer capability and a creative attitude.
5. Comfortable with the beliefs and practices of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
6. Must be able to pass a criminal justice background check.
7. At least 21 years of age.
1. This is a full-time exempt position at approximately 40 hours per week.
2. Benefits include 80 hours vacation, 10 paid holidays, 80 hours sick leave and 80 hours study leave annually.
3. Compensation is between $35,000 and $39,000 a year. This salary is inclusive of housing , medical and other expenses and are the responsibility of the employee. Deferred deductions may be set up with payroll at the employee's request.