This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Youth, Young Adult and Family Discipleship Coordinator
Epworth United Methodist Church
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 07/23/2012
Categories: Young Adult Pastor - Youth Pastor
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 151 to 250
Job Type: Part-Time
Epworth United Methodist Church in Gaithersburg, MD (multilingual/multicultural church of 200 people in 3 Sunday services) is seeking a committed individual with a desire to serve Christ and strengthen the body through outreach to and discipleship of youth, young adults and young families.
This is a part time position with funding through December 2013. Strong interest in continuing position exists should funding be available in 2014.
Candidates should be committed to Christ first and foremost. Second candidates should be passionate about supporting others in coming to Christ and growing as powerful disciples. Candidates should be attentive to the disconnection between many youth/young adults and the institutional church as well as the growing distance between churches and the community around them. Candidates should be passionate and creative in bridging these gaps.
The ideal candidate for this part-time position is a mature Christian with experience in programmatic ministry who is able to connect to youth and young adults and passionate about reaching out to individuals on the margins of the church and passionate about the church being of the community!
Candidates should possess high cross cultural interpersonal skills, clear vision and leadership, strong coordinating skills, ability to find and share appropriate resources, experience with bible study or small group ministry, and passion around outreach to the community and able to nurture spiritual growth of youth, young adults, and their families. Some experience in marketing or publicity would be beneficial.
Candidates must be committed to being part of a multi-ethnic, bi-lingual (English/Spanish), growing and changing church.
The Youth, Young Adult and Family Discipleship Coordinator would be responsible for:
1. Strengthening the publicity, outreach, retention, and discipleship components of our Wednesday night Youth Hang out (5-7pm) This includes looking at and supporting needs for children and adults as well as stabilizing and deepening existing program and volunteers.
2. Coordinating, resourcing, encouraging and disciple-ing the committed volunteer coordinators for our Sunday night Mid and senior High youth ministry and Sunday afternoon Youth Service Club.
3. Supporting, directing, and accompanying the very new Young Adult Ministry at Epworth so that it grows in numbers, scope and sustainability. There currently is a small leadership team of young adults.
4. Developing and supporting opportunities for deeper discipleship and spiritual growth for existing youth ministries via small group bible studies.
As time permits, the below are additional elements the position could build towards:
5. Working with the existing Director of Christian Education and Adult Ministry coordinator to provide additional opportunities for young families. (ie Parent of teens small group study, parenting group, children’s program on Wednesday night, and/or specific one-time community outreach events to families)
6. Beginning to lay the foundation of a more unified and comprehensive youth ministry by strengthening communication, relationship and shared vision among youth mission trip Camp Joy, Youth Sunday school, confirmation, Youth service club, Wednesday night, and Sunday night Youth Fellowship events.
7. Work with existing Lay speaker coordinator and Director of Praise and Worship responsible for Wednesday night worship to design worship that is most engaging and attractive to children and youth.
The position is exempt and estimated to be about 15 hours or 2-3 days per week. Salary Range is $10-12,000 annually depending on experience. This position requires
• presence at the Wednesday night Hang out (5pm arrival of community and church youth and children who currently engage in free play basketball, soccer, Wii; 6:15 dinner provided by volunteers; 7:00 Contemporary worship Service led by Director of Praise and worship with some youth participation),
• relationship with Sunday night youth leaders, including some presence on Sunday night and Sunday morning, and
• presence with young adult group currently meeting Thursday evening, and willingness to expand into possibly new small group meetings.
Interviews will begin after August 15th and continue until the position is filled. Please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org attention SPRC.