This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Children’s Minister (Part-time)
Greater Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 06/28/2012
Categories: Children's Pastor
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Part-Time
Part time salaried (25-30 hrs/week)
We are an exciting and welcoming multicultural church in the greater Cleveland, Ohio, area that offers three different forms of worship. The church has grown 75% since 2006 with a total of close to 500 attendees in worship and 80-100 in Children’s Ministry (infants-grade 5) each Sunday.
Children matter to us and we have a heart for children with special needs. We are looking for a passionate, self-motivated leader to take our children’s ministry to the next level as the church continues to experience growth. As the paid, part-time Children’s Minister you will discover, train & deploy great servant teams to help children (nursery-grade 5) experience the love and grace of Jesus Christ in a safe environment. There are opportunities for children during all three worship experiences as well as special events. The Children’s Minister reports directly to the Executive Pastor and is responsible for overseeing the entire ministry to children, infants-5th grade.
Details and skill/experience requirements are contained in the full position description below.
Accountable to: Executive Pastor
• Professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
• Active member of church, including weekly worship attendance, small group (accountability) participation, lifestyle of tithing and generosity, and serving out of call and giftedness
• Commitment to personal spiritual growth and healthy lifestyle
• Considers this position a ministry calling, not simply a job
• Models standards and expectations of Christian leadership
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
• Demonstrated effective recruiting, training and deployment of unpaid leadership
• Demonstrated commitment to inclusivity for all God’s people
• Proven ability to create and lead training and coaching in areas of ministry expertise
• Ability to provide vision and direction for all aspects of children’s ministry (nursery/preschool-5th grade
• Organized and able to work and manage your own schedule
• Demonstrated passion and commitment to the spiritual growth of children & their families
• Understanding of child development
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to recruit, motivate, inspire, equip and encourage children’s ministry servants/teams
• Excellent team-based leadership abilities
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Ability to work in a team-based, strengths-based environment
• Committed to our Core Values of Safety (the Church must be a place where people feel safe to share their deepest hurts, hopes and dreams); Authenticity (the Church must be a place absent of pretense, where people can meet a Real God in a Real World); Growth (the Church must be a place where growth happens… Growth in numbers of people encountered and growth in spiritual development); Diversity (the Church must be a place that reflects the community around us and the Kingdom of God); Forgiveness (the Church must be a place where forgiveness reigns).
• To become a specialist in children’s ministry by studying what other churches are effectively doing, reading, researching, dreaming up new ideas, etc.
• To ceaselessly identify more and more individuals in the congregation whose gifts and talents match the potential of children’s ministry and to focus most of your time in recruiting, training, deploying and supporting more and more individuals to become a part of the shared mission.
• Ongoing training & support of all those serving in children’s ministry including scheduling and leading regular meetings
• Ensure that child protection policy is implemented including all background checks completed for children’s ministry servants and use of children’s check in procedures/name badges
• Ensure that quality childcare is available as requested for groups and classes
• Provide leadership for radical hospitality at all times throughout the ministry for new visitors as well as regular attendee children and families.
• Select and/or develop curriculum and other resources for the spiritual development of children and families, including those with special needs
• Oversee the budget process and expenditures.
• Ensure that contact and attendance information for all children & families is captured and entered into appropriate database
• Facilitate contact with new families and respond to all requests for information regarding children’s ministry
• Team with paid and unpaid staff to research, explore & develop a plan for special needs children’s ministry
• Team with paid and unpaid staff to create and implement children’s ministry outreach & events/programs (e.g., Vacation Bible School, KidzBlitz, Christmas production and any additional musicals during the year beyond Christmas) including recruiting, training, and resourcing servants
• Coordinate with Director of Student Ministries to facilitate shared vision of children and student ministries, transition of children to student ministries (grades 6-12) and cooperate on possible joint ministry programming
• Ensure that all information about children’s ministry is communicated in coordination with communications staff