This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Our Savior's Way Lutheran Church
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 06/26/2012
Categories: Business/Administration - Communications
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Full-Time
To serve the Church by providing worship support, communications direction and administrative support to the Senior Pastor, Office Staff, Ministry Leaders and the Congregation.
Our Savior’s Way Evangelical Lutheran Church’s Mission
As established in the constitution, the mission of this church is to reach broken and hurting people with the saving and healing message of Jesus Christ. We will accomplish this mission through a wide variety of means, especially including: Growing in grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ; Sharing the Gospel with ourselves and others, and; Fostering Christian stewardship, fellowship and charity.
1. Reports to the Senior Pastor
2. Works directly with the Office Staff, Ministry Leaders and the congregation.
This position will require evening and/or weekend work and an unpredictable schedule. It is subject to deadlines and short time frames. The Church Administrator is a full-time Exempt Position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Accountable to ensure every worship service runs smoothly by performing the following:
• Prepare all necessary materials for regular and special worship services including, but not limited to, order of worship, worship bulletins, articles, transcribed sermons, handouts, bulletin boards, certificates, flowers and gifts
• Organize the volunteers in preparing the service materials and/or worship service accompaniments
• Ensure the appropriate materials, slides, videos, special features and handouts are ready and available before each service and that all technology products (slides and videos) have been pre-loaded and fully executed in the sanctuary (or appropriate room) prior to each worship service
• Ensure that all those involved in worship service (Pastors, musicians, readers, elders, technical team and others) are informed of the service schedule, their participation in the service and have received the materials necessary for them to complete their function effectively in the service
• Maintain schedules, preparing materials and guiding participants in special services like family devotions, confirmation, new member Sunday, baptisms, weddings and funerals
• Purchasing sufficient regular and special worship supplies to last several months.
Accountable for the consistent messaging and branding of Our Savior’s Way Lutheran Church and Open Arms Christian Child Development Center including:
• Develop content, edit and produce daily, weekly, monthly, ad-hoc and annual communications including, but not limited to: bulletins, emails, newsletters, handouts, brochures, videos, direct mailers and business cards
• Review and edit drafts of correspondence, reports and brochures for mass distribution produced by others
• Draft articles and reports on the status of major initiatives for distribution to Ministry Leaders, Congregation, the general public, volunteer support groups and special interest groups
• Generate the annual report, accepting input from Ministry Leaders
• Ensure the integration of the Church strategy, annual and special themes and messages into appropriate communications
• Design, schedule and manage advertising text and layouts
• Maintain church website and multimedia presentations
• Identify speakers and presentations that will further the growth of the congregation and Ministry Leaders. Schedule, organize and attend the presentations
• Interview key Ministry Leaders and manage the generation of documentation regarding the Ministries that are available to congregation members, non-members and community members
• Purchase supplies, equipment and materials necessary to support communications and ensure the proper, periodic inventory and maintenance of such supplies, equipment and materials
• Prepare and edit documentation with a critical sense and intuitive evaluation of factual accuracy, chronology of events, overall consistency of subject matter, along with consistency and accuracy regarding grammar, punctuation, syntax and acceptable institutional style.
Support the Senior Pastor, Church Staff, Ministry Leaders and congregation administratively as follows:
• Collect and maintain appropriate and accurate membership records including contact information like emails, phone numbers and mailing addresses, date of birth, baptism, marriage, attendance, employment, skills, gifts, abilities and interests
• Provide full and filtered membership information at regular intervals and ad-hoc via various delivery mechanisms (labels, excel), as requested
• Produce bi-annual church directory
• Produce biennial photo directory
• Provide and receive letters of transfer upon request
• Accountable for the appropriate and accurate record of critical Church documentation and history, including, but not limited to: constitution and by-laws, annual reports, articles of incorporation, board meeting minutes, contracts and election records
• Support the district, synod and others with information requests relative to Our Savior’s Way Lutheran Church and Open Arms Christian Child Development Center
• Send out notices of meeting of all committees as requested
• Support, maintain and make available to congregation a master calendar of activities and events
• Draft and type letters, reports, records, etc. as needed
• Purchase necessary curriculum material, bulletins and other supplies needed by the church, as directed by staff
• Arrange for conference attendance, travel and lodging, when necessary
• Maintain ACS Technology System, copier, Riso, supplies, postage meter and related contracts
• Maintain the administrative budget
• Other administrative duties as assigned.
1. Understanding of Lutheran theology
2. Ability to recruit, train, and supervise leaders and members in volunteer activities
3. Ability to professionally handle the pressure of working under tight deadlines with simultaneous assignments and to work with highly confidential information
4. Exceptional written communication skills with the ability to write to a variety of audiences, to write and edit in a variety of writing styles, on a wide range of topics and via various medias
5. Exceptional organizational skills.
1. Strong commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
2. Servant attitude
6. A lover of people
7. Must be able to work with a high degree of independence.
Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy items (up to 20 lbs. unassisted). The employee must be able to work safely in an environment containing biological conditions which may be unhealthful or hazardous (such as bodily fluids and waste, germs, childhood diseases).
A current Tuberculosis (TB) (PPD) test is required prior to employment. TB (PPD) tests are considered “current” for two years after they are completed.
Criminal Background Check
All staff members are required to undergo several background checks including criminal and central registry checks before employment begins.
Our Savior’s Way Lutheran Church offers comparative salary and excellent benefits.