The Worship Leader is a spiritual and organizational leader who oversees the worship ministries of Grace Church. Oversight of the worship ministry of Grace Church includes but is not limited to leading our community worship; implementation of Grace Church’s vision, mission, and strategy in the worship area; crafting the themes for each service in conjunction with the senior pastor; training and nurturing both paid and volunteer team members while working with various groups throughout the church to use music and the arts for worship; ensuring each worship service is led in such a way that the congregation has an opportunity for an authentic encounter with God’s presence.
Pastor of Worship – General Role Description
Corporate Worship Leadership and Planning: “Corporate worship” is understood to include regular Sunday morning meetings, special events throughout the year (such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Good Friday services), and other corporate events as planned and assigned. Specific responsibilities include:
• Overseeing the planning and production of the corporate worship time as well as assuming a significant role in its actual leadership.
• Personal involvement and participation in the leadership of Sunday morning congregational worship services and engaged in the life of the church.
• Creating a blended worship time that can engage every generation represented within the Grace Church congregation by incorporating current music and styles while preserving and celebrating the great hymns of the faith.
• Identifying, training, and utilizing quality leadership for the congregation in worship.
• Choosing music, Scripture, and other worship arts that will help facilitate a spiritually engaging and God-exalting worship experience.
• Overseeing the choir/choir director to ensure that the choir is prepared musically and spiritually for corporate worship and other events (or directing choir, if desired).
• Coordinating the media as well as all other elements necessary for the production of corporate worship events.
Shepherding and Leading
• The worship leader will shepherd the hearts and spirits of all who serve in worship ministries as his primary pastoral flock.
• He will not only be concerned for musical excellence to God’s glory, but will realize that God looks first at the heart. He will seek to develop his team as a group of true worshipers themselves before they seek to lead others in worship.
• The worship leader will report directly to the senior pastor and work in cooperation with the Deacon Board, in implementing the Philosophy of Corporate Worship.
• The worship leader will also serve as a pastoral partner with the leadership team, participating in overall ministry planning, as well as other tasks in keeping with his gifts and passions.
• First and foremost, he will profess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and demonstrate spiritual fruit in keeping with repentance.
• Character: Must meet the biblical qualifications for an elder/pastor as listed in 1 Peter 5, 1 Timothy 3, and Titus 1.
• He will be a man who consistently displays godly character and leadership demonstrated in his interaction with the congregation, in his relationships with the pastoral team/staff, and at home.
• He must be willing to acknowledge personal weaknesses; demonstrating humility by a desire for continued personal growth.
• He will be a godly, pastoral leader with strong biblical and theological understanding who, as a good manager and communicator, can contribute to the church’s larger mission beyond his specific worship ministry.
• His main qualification to teach and lead the congregation in worship will be that he is a true, authentic worshiper himself. His inner devotional life that is reflected in his lifestyle of worship will act as an example to his team members and the congregation as whole.
• His life and ministry will reflect an understanding of the importance of effective administration and organization.
• He will be a leader with the ability to draw people to him, delegate to others, and lead other leaders. He will have skill and experience as a team builder who will mentor and empower others to grow.
• He will be able to articulate a vision, build consensus, and lead others to embrace the essentials of that vision.
• He has a pastor/shepherd gifting and heart, demonstrated by a love and respect for people as they shepherd volunteers and a paid team in their leading of worship as well as their walk with God.
• He will have strong musical and technological background with a strong proficiency as an instrumentalist and vocalist.
• He must have a growing relationship with and love for Jesus, be a worshiper of God in his personal life in a way that reflects through a humble spirit and ability to lead the congregation into the presence of God.
• He must be a self-starter and be self-motivated with the gift of leadership and administrative skills in order to plan ahead, and exhibit a proven track record for unleashing lay people into worship ministry.
• He must have a background of nurturing younger talent as well as adults who need to develop talents.
• He must have the ability to work with and have the trust of the senior pastor, other pastors, and ministry leaders.
• He must be able to maintain a healthy balance of excellence for all worship service styles and inspire members to worship and draw closer to God while having a heartfelt commitment to both traditional worship styles as well as contemporary styles.
• He must have a proven ability in leading vocal and instrumental teams, ability to select and arrange relevant and inspiring music for various services and/or programs.
• Believe, affirm, and accept the Articles of Faith and Practice of the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches (www.fecministries.org).
Education and Experience:
• A significant understanding in Bible theology, and the history and practice of Christian worship is required.
• A bachelor level degree in music or a related field is preferred. A minimum of five years experience with oversight in a multi-faceted worship ministry setting is desired.
• A working knowledge of and abilities in arrangement, music theory, vocal and instrumental performance, and other elements of worship is necessary.
To apply for this position, please visit our website www.gracemorton.org and follow the instructions listed in the Worship Leader Search tab at the top right side of the home page.
Grace Church is located in the central Illinois community of Morton, which is just east of Peoria, Illinois. The charter members of Grace Church began meeting in a small storefront location downtown over 53 years ago. The Lord has blessed our church with healthy growth through the years and we now occupy a beautiful new building that was completed in 2006. Grace belongs to the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches denomination which is based in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Youth PastorVictory Temple Assembly of God
- Jasper, Indiana
- October 22
Pastor of Worship & Music- Highland ParkChurchology Staffing
- Madison Heights, Michigan
- October 20
Worship LeaderClear Water Church
- Anchorage, Alaska
- October 20
Worship PastorVineyard Community Church
- Grafton, Wisconsin
- October 20
Worship LeaderThe Rock
- Bridgeport, Texas
- October 20
Grace Evangelical Church
Grace Church, founded in 1958, is an evangelical congregation of around 850 in central Illinois and is part of the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches denomination. In 2006 Grace Church moved into a new facility in Morton to provide additional facilities and to accommodate growth. Please go to the Worship Leader Search tab on our website (www.gracemorton.org) for information on applying for this position. More...