This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Student Ministry Pastor
Springhill Presbyterian Church
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Date Posted: 05/31/2012
Categories: Youth Pastor
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Full-Time
If your vision is to build a vibrant student ministry for Junior and Senior High students in a stimulating, city and church ministry nestled among a mountain environment, consider the role of Student Ministry Pastor at Springhill Church in Bozeman, Montana. If you are an independent, relational leader, who envisions students trusting Christ and then growing in biblical maturity, this position is definitely worth digging into its dreams. This is a prime opportunity for someone who wants the challenge—and fun—of building a ministry.
Contact person: Paul Utnage at firstname.lastname@example.org
Springhill Presbyterian Church is an evangelical church associated with the EPC denomination in Bozeman, Montana. The church has experienced explosive growth in the past few years. People have come from all types of backgrounds. Our vision is 'that all may come to know and enjoy God, His world and each other through Jesus Christ.' Our core values are: the Bible, persistent prayer, joyful worship, genuine community, enthusiastic evangelism, fearless engagement and service. We have multiple staff members who are innovative, fast paced and easy going. Our office environment is flexible and supportive. We aim to be a relational organic team. In fact, we all enjoy the outdoors together.
Bozeman is a city of approximately 50,000, including college students at the Montana State University. We are in the fastest growing county in Montana, with explosive growth in the church in the last few years. More than 100,000 people live within the county, connecting with Bozeman in the valley. The town is located within an outdoor mountain mecca, including the northern entrance to Yellowstone National Park. City leaders--and church leaders--are entrepreneurial and independent, relational and friendly.
We have two locations—one site is an original church outside of town, while the larger site is in the downtown location of a theater. We will be in a new building by 2014. Our vision includes five multi-sites throughout Montana in the next few years. The Student Ministry Pastor will direct student ministry at all sites.
Purpose: The primary purpose of this position is to establish and oversee strategies and direction for Junior and Senior High ministry as a spiritual and proactive leader who lovingly engages students, as well as empowers and releases volunteer leaders for student ministry.
Major Responsibilities (see full job description on church website):
Vision and Strategies
1. To develop and operate Christ-centered ministries for teens in alignment with the overall vision and strategies of the church.
2. To communicate Student Ministry vision to students, parents, congregation and community so that all groups have an excited buy-in to the vision.
3. To establish objectives, goals, and action plans for the Student Ministry in alignment with overall plans of the church. The Student Ministry Pastor will lead activities that fit the best use of his leadership, strengths and gifts; he will depend upon volunteer leaders to sustain other responsibilities. These strategies will include (but are not limited to):
a. Worship Environment
1) To engage students in the corporate worship of the church.
2) To create worshipful activities that captivate students into a relationship with God and lead them into a transforming relationship with Christ.
3) To develop training opportunities to help students learn to lead worship themselves.
b. Equipping Environment
1) To teach the Bible with relevance and clarity in both Junior and Senior High programs.
2) To engage students in age appropriate equipping/discipleship opportunities which are essential for spiritual growth and missional living (i.e. biblical character, knowledge, and skill).
3) To train students to be leaders in their church and community.
c. Missional Environment
1) To engage nonchristian students with the gospel.
2) To identify and develop missional opportunities to engage students in missional living.
3) To partner with other like-minded student ministries to accomplish missional vision.
d. Care Environment
1) To offer loving care to students who may struggle with difficult issues, even referring them and/or parents to care-giving resources.
Volunteers and Parents
1. To recruit and equip volunteer leaders to guide the spiritual development of the ministry’s youth.
2. To shepherd the volunteer leaders so they themselves are growing like Christ with their own giftedness in God’s church.
3. To work along with other staff members to develop training opportunities for parents.
4. To execute communication processes for informing parents about student ministry direction and seeking routine feedback.
1. To develop and manage annual budgetary obligations for student ministry that align with the church’s mission, vision, and values.
2. In the spirit of stewardship, to manage fundraising and expenses within approved budgeted parameters and monitor spending at least monthly.
Profile. The person who is best suited for this position will exhibit the following:
1. Adherence to the evangelical and reformed faith, demonstrated in his regular spiritual walk.
2. Bachelors Degree in education, ministry or related field required. Master of Divinity degree preferable.
3. Have knowledge of students’ developmental stages of life and their current culture in order to strategically choose and implement appropriate programming.
4. Three years experience working in a student ministry setting is required.
5. Loves to learn.
6. Self-starter who can set and achieve goals.
7. Empathetic, intuitive decision-making.
8. Skills in organization, multi-tasking, problem-solving, task orientation (i.e. results-driven), and empowerment, combined with relational ability.
9. Good team-building skills.
10. Ability to work with a teachable heart, good attitude, flexibility and unity.
11. Joyful sense of humor.
12. Spiritual gifts of leadership and teaching are required.