This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Cross Cultural Director
Holland, Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 05/16/2012
Categories: Missions Pastor - Outreach
Church Size: 751 to 1000
Job Type: Part-Time
Engedi Church is a missional community of people who are committed to loving and serving God, our neighbors and the world. We preach the gospel, and we do our best to live it out. Since our inception in 2005, Engedi Church’s mission has been to advance the kingdom revolution of Jesus worldwide. We have identified five core values we believe mark the advance of Jesus’ kingdom in our midst. Additionally, our community strives to live out five life practices that embody these values (see engedichurch.com).
We believe God’s original dream for creation was to create a community of people who experience complete wholeness of mind, body, emotions and soul in Him and deep, meaningful relationships with each other. Jesus began His ministry by announcing He had come to bring good news to the poor, to release the oppressed and to free the imprisoned. He called the experience of these realities living in the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is an
ever-expanding reality of those who are experiencing the restoration of what was lost at the Fall—harmony with God, within ourselves and within our relationships to our community. While full restoration won’t occur until His return, Jesus invites us to both experience and extend restoration in the now. This is why Engedi is here.
Engedi is a young and vibrant church with 81% of our attendees under the age of 40. On average, 750-850 people worship together each Sunday morning. Historically, Engedi has held a strong commitment to reflecting kingdom diversity. In God’s new creation, Christians of every tribe, tongue and nation will worship together. We think diversity within the church is an important witness to God’s good future. To live the way of Jesus is to welcome and accept people from every background as they continue in their journey toward Him.
Engedi has taken some steps toward reflecting kingdom diversity. For example, our small groups are made up people from all walks of life rather than by life stage or marital status. We also have ministries where people of differing economic classes can build relationships. However when it comes to our church body reflecting our community’s racial diversity we have struggled. Less than ten percent of Engedi is made up of people of non-Anglo ethnicities.
We have created the position of Cross Cultural Director to help us better reflect the diversity of our community. We hope the Cross Cultural Director will help the people of Engedi better connect with ethnic minorities. We also hope this person will help us make any changes necessary to help Engedi to be a hospitable environment to non-Anglos. Though the below list of duties and responsibilities carries with it many administrative tasks, it’s important to remember that the heart of the Cross Cultural Director is to help Engedi better reflect kingdom diversity.
Skills and Qualifications
• Deeply committed follower of Jesus
• Deep passion about diversity in the local church
• Sincere care and concern for building bridges between cultures
• Effective administrative skills – including the ability to set goals, facilitate advance planning and effectively manage ministry and personal schedules
• Proven leadership experience – has developed a ministry vision and accomplished it
• Proven ability to recruit, develop and communicate with volunteers
• Previous work with a variety of cultures – experience with Hispanic or Laotian communities would be helpful but is not required
• Fluency in Spanish is important
• Able to connect with people of varying ethnic, economic and educational backgrounds
• Team player – humble, willing to defer to others, supportive of other Engedi ministries
• Is a partner of Engedi or is willing to become one upon joining staff
• Tithes (not necessarily entirely to Engedi, but substantially so)
• Is in a CABLE group or other similar experience of biblical community
• Affirms Engedi’s core beliefs, mission, values and life practices by word and example
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with local missional life director to help those participating in local serving opportunities build authentic relationship with those they are serving
• Develop entirely new opportunities for Engedi attendees to cultivate diverse friendships
• Help Engedi makes any changes necessary to be more hospitable toward ethnic minorities
• Forge relationships with local non-profit agencies so as to foster opportunities for Engedi to help develop new cross cultural relationships
• Communicate local opportunities to step across cultural boundaries to CABLE group leaders
• Communicate to the congregation and staff regarding the vision and importance of our cross cultural value
• Prepare and administer the cross cultural ministries budget
• Assist in communication of missional life initiatives
• Oversee Spanish Translation Team
• Oversee additional staff members as deemed necessary in the future
• Participate in staff meetings (staff meets 2x/month)
• Participate in directors meetings (directors meet 1x/month)
• Reports to Director of Local Missional Life