This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Children's Ministry
Spring Hills Community Church
Santa Rosa, California, United States
Date Posted: 05/08/2012
Categories: Church Staff
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
Director of Children’s Ministry
(Full-time, 40 hours/week, salaried)
Spring Hills Community Church believes that the people of the church are both called and gifted to be active servants of Jesus. The Director of Children’s Ministry will help fulfill the mission of Spring Hills Community Church by leading an excellent, comprehensive Children’s Ministry. The Director will be responsible for the development and implementation of programming for the spiritual formation of children and equipping parents to fulfill their calling as the primary spiritual leaders of their children. The Director will be responsible for preparing and deploying the members of the church to serve in Children’s Ministry teams that are most appropriate to their gifts.
• Provides vision, develops and implements an integrated year round weekend and midweek Children’s Ministry program for nursery through 5th grade that supports the vision, mission and values of Spring Hills Community Church.
• Provides leadership, direction, and training for all Children’s Ministry volunteers for all weekend services and special events.
• Oversees Children’s Ministry outreach events, Vacation Bible School, and other summer programs, as well as other times/programs for the children to connect with one another.
• Coordinates child care for special events (including but not limited to large group Bible studies).
• Recruits, trains, deploys, and supports team in the development and implementation of ministry to children from Nursery through 5th grade. This includes but is not limited to children’s programs for weekend services, Vacation Bible School and summer day camp, and other church event child care needs.
o Interview prospective teachers/volunteers with attention given to spiritual life, giftedness, and agreement with the Spring Hills Community Church philosophy of ministry.
o Screen prospective teachers/volunteers using acceptable fingerprinting and background check procedures.
o Train teachers (CPR, effective teaching methods/materials, etc.).
• Encourages teamwork by providing leadership in a supportive and authentic environment, as well as facilitating regular communication and Children’s Ministry team meetings.
• Oversees Children’s Ministry strategic planning/goal setting, budget, records, curriculum, equipment, food, supplies, and resources.
• Manages resources well, staying within Children’s ministry budget.
• Responsible for procedures related to smooth children’s program check-in and tracking weekly attendance reports.
• Ensure a safe environment for children: physically, emotionally, and spiritually as well as the safety and welfare of all individuals involved in Children’s Ministry.
• Ensures scheduling to provide appropriate volunteer to child ratios.
• Maintains office hours and keeps office staff informed about where he/she can be reached when not on site.
• Participates in staff meetings, Wednesday afternoon prayer meetings, and additional meetings as requested by the Senior Pastor.
• Coordinates with church staff to ensure that children’s activities are posted on the church calendar, in the bulletin, and on the website, when appropriate.
• Reviews and evaluates educational policies, purpose statements, curriculum needs, and scopes and sequences for the Children’s Ministry.
• Attends one of the weekend services (feeding).
• Other duties as assigned.
• Active and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ, evidenced by action, attitude, and behavior.
• Strong biblical foundation.
• Fully embraces the Spring Hills Community Church’s mission, vision, purpose, values, and doctrinal statement.
• A passion for Children’s Ministry and the ability to creatively communicate the good news to children.
• Gifted in leadership, administration, shepherding, and teaching/communication.
• Strong leadership, administration and delegation skills.
• Previous experience with direction and administration of large church Children’s Ministries, including a large (50+) volunteer staff.
• A minimum of 3 years experience in Children’s Ministry (preferably at a large church setting), including budgeting and ministry planning.
• Proven ability to recruit, motivate, equip, and schedule teams of volunteers to minister to children and families.
• Ability to reach out and connect with families involved with the Children’s Ministry.
• Ability to communicate (written, verbal, interpersonal) effectively.
• Ability to manage time and projects through to completion.
• Ability to juggle the details of ministry while keeping the big picture in mind.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Proven reliability, initiative, and strong work-ethic.
• Uses appropriate judgment in the areas of discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality.
• Embrace and adapt to growth, change, innovation, and creativity.
• Have a cooperative, healthy, and motivating relationship with supervisors, coworkers, and volunteers.
• Bachelor’s degree in Christian Education, Child Development, Education (or equivalent) is required. Extensive Children’s Ministry experience may be considered as an alternative to a Bachelor’s degree.
• Competency with basic computer software (Microsoft Office Suite) and capacity to learn new software is required. Experience with FellowshipOne church management software is desirable.
Accountability: Reports to the Senior Pastor
The Director of Children’s Ministry needs to love and relate well to the children but his/her primary role is to lead and care for the team and mobilize volunteers to minister to the children.
Applicants residing in the state of California, please send cover letter & resume to Sonya Matias, Assistant to the Senior Pastor at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to
Spring Hills Community Church
ATTN: Sonya Matias
P.O. Box 6653
Santa Rosa, CA 95406.
No phone calls please.