This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Coordinator of Student Ministry
Wheatland Salem United Methodist Church
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 07/19/2012
Categories: Christian Education - Church Staff
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Full-Time
The purpose of this position is to support the mission of Wheatland Salem Church: Love God. Love Others. Change the World.
This position’s primary focus is implementing the vision of the congregation to equip Christ-followers for everyday service that has a long-term impact. To that end, this position carries forward the congregation’s core value of reaching next generations by providing vision, leadership, planning, development, equipping of other leaders and implementation of a multi-faceted ministry with, for, and to students in grades 6-12 at both campuses.
Full Time (40 Hours)
Includes substantial schedule on Sundays as well as some Saturdays in line with particular student ministry events and occasional all-church activities.
Ministry Leadership Team
Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC)
* Committed growing Christian with a servant’s heart
* Person of high integrity, confidentiality, and patience
* Excellent relational and communications skills
* Creative, adaptable, flexible, and teachable
* Gracious, helpful and accessible in working with visitors and staff
* Able to envision, initiate, and manage multiple projects, timelines, constituencies, and outcomes.
* Targets and achieves results, overcomes obstacles, accepts responsibility, establishes standards and responsibilities, creates a results-oriented environment, and follows through on actions.
* Communicates well both verbally and in writing. Effectively conveys and shares information and ideas with others. Listens carefully and understands various viewpoints. Presents ideas clearly and concisely and understands relevant detail in presented information.
* Generates novel ideas and develops or improves existing and new systems that challenge the status quo, takes risks, and encourages innovation.
* Possesses the ability to define issues and focus on achieving workable solutions consistent with fulfillment of church mission and consistent with the church's ministry process.
* Effectively and productively engages with others and establishes trust, credibility, and confidence with others.
* Motivates, empowers, inspires, collaborates with, and encourages others. Develops a culture of cultivating people (both staff and volunteers). Builds consensus when appropriate. Focuses team members on common goals.
* Knows when and how to attract, develop, reward and utilize teams to optimize results. Acts to build trust, inspire enthusiasm, encourage others, and help resolve conflicts and develop consensus in creating high-performance teams.
* Demonstrates strong technical/functional proficiencies and knowledge in areas of expertise. Consistently does the right thing by performing with reliability.
* Identify, recruit and mentor/develop youth ministry leaders (adult and youth).
* Provide leadership supervision for Middle School and High School student ministry programs such as, but not limited to:
o Sunday School
o Youth group
o Weekly youth events
o Mission Trips
o Wheatland Café
* Collaborate with other staff and volunteer leaders to initiate and develop other options for engaging students such as, but not limited to, digital communication, musical ensembles, drama, and sports.
* Manage and direct the work of the Student Ministry Assistant(s) on staff
* Collaborate with Children’s and Adult Ministries to address the needs of youth and their parents.
* Collaborate with Children’s Ministries the facilitation of Special Friends ministry offering one-on-one assistance for students with special needs to allow for participation in Student programs.
* Collaborate with the Pastors to identify and assist students and families in crisis situations.
* Identify and implement initiatives that engage the presently disengaged students already related to the congregation and/or reach new constituencies of students in the community.
* Be available to students on a regular basis.
* Collaborate with the other areas of the ministry team to support and encourage healthy and faithful families.
* Ensure the adherence to the Safe Sanctuaries Policy by Student Ministries.
* Manage the fiscal tracking of expenditures, resource distribution (books, DVD’s, etc), program registrations and program advertising in a collaborative manner with the rest of the staff.
* Intermediate computer skills: Excel, Word, Publisher, ability to learn church-wide database
* Ability to address leaders needs in a timely, accurate and positive manner.
* Ability to attend weeknight and weekend events
* A heart for helping youth grow in their relationship with Christ
* Experience in leadership of youth
* Ability to supervise student ministry volunteers
* Well-acquainted with the Bible and able to teach/interpret the Scriptures and the Christian faith from a Wesleyan evangelical perspective.
* Able to attract a following
* Familiar and comfortable using technology and social networking applications
* Relevant bachelor’s or master’s degree, ministry training or equivalent experience
Other duties may be assigned by the Senior Pastor