This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Children's Discipleship
Bel Air Presbyterian Church
Los Angeles, California, United States
Date Posted: 03/30/2012
Categories: Children's Pastor
Denominations: Presbyterian -- PCUSA
Church Size: 2001 to 2500
Job Type: Full-Time
The Director of Children’s Discipleship is the primary leader for children and families at Bel Air Presbyterian Church. The Director’s purpose in all of his or her leadership, relationships, teaching and programming is to welcome children into life-long, loving relationship with Jesus Christ and to nurture them in Christian discipleship. The Director develops the vision and strategic planning for the ministry growth, cultivates consensus, and oversees the process of implementation.
Discipleship: Shape all activity so that it integrates purposefully and strategically toward the goal of making disciples. Design programmatic elements to draw a child effectively and age appropriately into relationship with Jesus Christ, and the Church, and to empower them for a response of love and service to their neighbor and the world.
Staff Management and Leadership: Give leadership, direction and vision to the Children’s Discipleship staff. Clearly define staff roles, working relationships, foster a professional and collegial team environment, and lead meetings and trainings with staff and volunteers.
Program Development: Maintain a year round calendar of activities for children and families that include service opportunities, fellowship, and partnership with church wide events. Evaluate all new and ongoing programs for effectiveness and consistency with church’s mission, vision and strategy, core values and goals for the year.
Curricula: Evaluate current curriculum for theological, developmental, pedagogical and contextual propriety. Design and modify curriculum as needed for all church events.
Teaching: Communicate God’s Word in creative, engaging and age appropriate ways.
Build Relationships: Work to connect every child to a stable adult led classroom small group in which children can build supportive, Christ-centered friendships over time. Encourage healthy relationships between volunteers and children as they build into each child spiritually. Invest in the lives of parents and volunteers.
Engaging Volunteers: Recruit members of the congregation of all ages to come, be equipped, and engage in ministry to children.
Communication: Communicate vision and planning clearly and effectively; inform children, volunteers, parents, staff and the congregation of current and future programming in a timely and inviting manner.
Safety: Evaluate all current practices to ensure child safety at all times; implement any needed improvements; maintain awareness of and compliance with state regulations and accepted best practices for child safety and our Child Protection Policy on an ongoing basis.
Budget: Leverage financial resources effectively to accomplish strategic priorities; design and maintain a balanced budget in accordance with church policies and practices.
• Possess a deep and vibrant faith in Jesus Christ & Commitment to God’s Word
• Personal integrity and moral purity
• Love for children
• Passion for ministry
• Emotional and social maturity
• Warm and enthusiastic personality
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Publisher
• Leadership gifting and initiative
• Strong communication skills
• Administrative gifting and strong organizational skills
• Experience in evaluating, implementing, measuring effectiveness and improving programs
• Works well on a team and seeks collaboration among all ministries of the church
• Demonstrated ability to invite, train and support staff and volunteers to serve
• Self motivated
• Ability to think critically and creatively
• Demonstrate a successful track record in Children’s Ministry (ie At least 5 years of experience)
• Passionate about the ‘Sticky Faith’ model of ministry that is taking place at BAPC**
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in child development, education and ministry. Seminary training or Master’s Degree is highly desired
Interested and qualified individuals should email their resume and 1-page cover letter to CDSearch@belairpres.org. Cover letter should include the following: 1). Your theology of Children’s Ministry and 2). Why you would want to serve in a context like Bel Air Presbyterian Church.
** “Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids.” by Kara Powell and Chap Clark. See their website at www.Stickyfaith.org