This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Children's Ministry Pastor/Director
Sandhills Community Church
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 03/08/2012
Categories: Children's Pastor - Christian Education
Denominations: Christian Missionary Alliance
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Full-Time
Vision: To develop creative ministry environments that disciple children through Sandhills Community Church’s vision of connecting to God, Each Other, and our Community with an emphasis on Kindness Outreach. The broader vision should be to equip and support families for ministry. The vision will be lived out in the context of a growing, modern, multi-ethnic, mission-driven church of 700+ people.
Reports Directly to the Youth and Family Pastor
Education and Experience:
1. Minimum of a B. A. in Biblical studies or equivalent
2. Experience in a full-time children’s ministry in a medium to large church
Description of duties
1. Study and understand the spiritual and developmental needs of children.
2. Administrate children’s environments: nursery through 5th grade.
3. Represent children and Sandkidz staff in bringing their needs and concerns before church leadership.
4. Work with the Youth and Family Pastor and the Sandkidz Ministry Team to determine short-term and long-term goals for the church’s children’s ministry.
5. Recruit and retain a dedicated and enthusiastic volunteer staff of children’s workers.
6. Provide training and support for volunteers in the children’s ministry.
7. Prepare the annual children’s ministry budget with input from the Sandkidz Ministry Team and the Youth and Family Pastor.
8. Assess, recommend, and purchase curriculum and materials for children’s ministry environments.
9. Develop and maintain appropriate safety and security guidelines for children’s ministry environments, including criminal background checks for staff and volunteers.
10. Implement training on child protection, health issues, discipline, and other procedures to ensure the safety and security of children and adults.
11. Remain current on trends, teaching methods, materials, promotional ideas, administrative methods, and other children’s ministry techniques, and implement these as appropriate.
12. Assist with planning and conducting special projects and activities such as camps, Backyard Bible Clubs, shared family experiences, children’s game nights, parenting seminars, etc.
13. Coordinate childcare for special church events.
14. Pursue licensing with the Christian and Missionary Alliance, to be followed by ordination or consecration.
Training and resources
1. Attend appropriate regional and national seminars and workshops on children’s ministry.
2. Attend local and state government training and seminars on safety and security for working with children.
3. Purchase resources for personal professional development, as well as for the development of children’s ministry staff and volunteers.
Qualifications, skills, and gifts
1. Committed follower of Jesus Christ
2. Visionary leader
3. Creative thinker
4. Committed to vision, values, and beliefs of the church
5. Supportive of other church staff and volunteers
6. Demonstrates evidence of a Christ-like attitude in words and actions
7. Committed to high moral character
9. Self-starting—able to work independently
10. Team-oriented—able to lead and follow
11. Able to work with a large team of volunteers
13. Tech savvy (able to use modern technology in the context of ministry)
14. Has a heart and passion for children & their parents
15. Loves children and demonstrates patience in dealing with them
16. Excellent communication skills
17. Able to work with a wide variety of “constituents”: pastoral staff, volunteer workers, parents, grandparents, and children
18. Passes church criteria for background check
19. Has a compelling desire to share the life of Jesus with children and their parents
Terms of Service
This is a full-time position with the expectation of a minimum of 40 hours per week.
Nationally competitive salary with generous benefits.