This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Coordinator of Small Group Ministry
Wheatland Salem United Methodist Church
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 04/13/2012
Categories: Discipleship Pastor - Small Group Pastor
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Part-Time
The purpose of this position is to support the ministry and operations teams of Wheatland Salem Church in our mission to Love God, Love Others and Change the World.
This position’s primary focus is the development of healthy small groups for the discipleship journey of adults within Wheatland Salem Church at multiple locations. A secondary focus is the resourcing and coordination of other learning opportunities for adults.
Part-time (20 hours)
Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC)
- A witness for Jesus Christ through testimony and exemplary Christian lifestyle
- Able to develop and lead a growing network of adult small groups.
- Excellent human relation skills with adults, and volunteers
- Integrity, confidentiality, and patience
- Ability to attend weeknight and weekend events
- Ability to recruit, equip and train volunteers and to direct staff
- Self-starter, team player
- Able to balance the “big picture” with the detail needs of the moment
- Computer literate
- A vision and heart for helping adults grow in their relationship with Christ
- Creative, adaptable, flexible and teachable
High School education
Relevant college degree, ministry training or equivalent experience a plus
- Provide general and specific vision, direction, and outreach strategies for Small Group Ministry.
- Manage and maintain small group resources (both online and a library of acceptable resources.) Review requests for new material for theological consistency and group needs & dynamics.
- Raise up leadership by identifying potential Small Group Leaders and coaches. Implement leadership development through informal and formal means.
- Equip and resource leaders, so as to enable groups to fulfill the key group life components:
o Connect: ways to better know each other and Christ, which provide for personal connection within appropriate boundaries.
o Grow: opportunities for spiritual growth with the primary method “doing life as a community”, with group resource guides as tools for discussion.
o Serve: various opportunities for serving, both within the surrounding community and the WSC community.
o Care: providing appropriate care (or make referrals) to members of their groups.
o Multiply: provide direction for the growth of small group ministry through dividing current groups to allow access to newcomers
- Evaluate potential small group participants and match with current groups or form new groups based on mutual affinities, spiritual direction and other criteria determined in small group outreach strategy.
- Facilitate, along with leaders of adult learning groups beyond the small group ministry (for example, weekday Bible studies, women’s ministry, men’s ministry) a planning, assessment, innovation, communication, and leadership development process to strengthen adult learning opportunities.
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Meet regularly with team staff and leadership to discuss direction and implementation of small group and select adult opportunities for spiritual formation.
- Oversee the fiscal tracking of expenditures, resource distribution, registration and advertising in a collaborative manner with ministry leaders other church staff.
Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor