This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Senior High Youth Leader
Trinity Lutheran Church
Joppa, Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 02/28/2012
Categories: Other - Youth Pastor
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
Trinity Lutheran Church
1100 Philadelphia Road
Joppa, Maryland 21085
SENIOR HIGH YOUTH LEADER
Position to be filled: April 2012
Salary and benefits: Negotiable
The Senior High Youth Leader provides staff leadership for the 9th through 12th Grade youth group (high school) ministry. The Senior High Youth Leader will be under the direction of the Lead Pastor and Youth Leadership Team, and work in a specific partnership with the Junior High Youth Leader. This person must be a committed follower of the Lord Jesus and feel called by God to accept the challenges presented in this job description.
1. The Senior High Youth Leader will function under the guidance and direction of the Lead Pastor and work with resource support being provided by the Youth Leadership Team.
2. This position requires this person to have a strong Christian background rooted in the person of Jesus Christ. They are to exemplify the Church’s Christian ethics through word and daily living, and set a positive example in the way you act, talk and dress both at work and in the community.
3. The Senior High Youth Leader’s devotional life should be enhanced by spending some time each day in personal reading of the Scriptures.
4. This person is to be involved in daily prayer for the youth ministries at Trinity and for the youth leadership.
5. The Senior High Youth Leader will meet weekly with the Lead Pastor.
6. The Senior High Youth Leader will attend the weekly, Tuesday morning Ministry Staff Meeting and General Staff Meeting.
7. The Senior High Youth Leader will attend the monthly, Monday evenings Youth Ministry Team Meeting (2nd Monday), and Parish Planning Council Meetings (4th Monday).
8. At least four times per year, the Senior High Youth Leader will be expected to attend the General Voters’ Meeting as a responsible member of the Ministry Staff.
1. The Senior High Youth Leader’s role is to share the love, care and knowledge of Jesus Christ with the youth of the congregation. This shall be done through the following areas:
? Continued prayer and visioning for the Senior High School Ministry.
? Mid-Week Wednesday Night Senior High School Youth Gathering for worship and small groups. This will include all aspects of worship leadership (in partnership with the Contemporary Director of Music), and small group planning and teaching.
? Youth visitations, phone visits and weekly e-mails.
? Working with the Youth Ministry to plan and lead events such as: Fund-Raising, Mission Trip, Evangelism, etc.
? Monthly plan High School Events (i.e. ice skating, bowling, etc.)
? Work with the Webmaster; while overseeing the High School Website (JCrew).
? Plan and lead outreach events in the community with concerts, games, etc.
2. The Senior High Youth Leader should be someone who is relevant, out-of-the-box, and life changing: A powerful leader who is not afraid to talk about issues and always points to Jesus.
3. This position would directly oversee ministries that JCrew is currently running:
? Wednesday Night JCrew Gatherings
? Senior High Bible Sunday – Sunday mornings
? Youth Band - in partnership with the Contemporary Director of Music
? Drama Team – Salvation Reigns – 1st and 3rd Monday at 7:30 p.m.
? Senior High Special Events
? Senior High Retreats and Summer Mission Trips
4. Youth Leadership:
? “PEOPLE SUPPORT WHAT THEY CREATE” – the goal in this area is to involve the youth in the decision-making process of the group so they may take ownership of – and be involved – in the youth ministry.
? The Leader is to provide a clear structure where youth can be involved in designed areas of leadership in a cooperative, team manner with the Youth Board and Advisors.
6. Youth Team Coordinators:
? Serve as a resource for the Youth Team Coordinators in helping them plan youth events.
? Assist on an annual basis; aid the Youth Team Co-Directors in establishing clear goals and objectives for the Youth Team.
? Aid the Youth Team Co-Directors with the yearly Activities Planning Calendar.
7. Adult and Family Volunteers:
? Recruit, guide and encourage adult volunteers and parents of youth to actively participate in youth events, and to provide support and leadership within the group.
8. Youth Events:
? Plan and lead monthly youth events in cooperation with youth and adult coordinators.
? The events scheduled should provide the youth with a well-rounded experience (i.e. spiritual, educational, fellowship)
9. Youth Retreats:
? Plan and lead the designated youth retreats.
? Each event should include Bible studies and life applications, recreational activities and fellowship building.
? The Senior High Leader will need to attend Confirmation II Retreat each May.
10. Senior High Youth Sunday School:
? Should consist of a shared leadership role-teaching the high school class as well as providing other adult leaders for the class.
? Develop lesson plans to discuss topics of relevance for the high school youth.
11. Youth Visitation:
? The Senior High Youth Leader will make weekly visits to personally contact members of and prospects for the youth ministry.
? Visitation will fall into the following categories: wayward, crisis and friendship.
12. Summer Youth Mission Trip
? The Senior High Youth Leader provides the necessary leadership to help choose a Summer Mission Trip site and assure that all necessary preparations are made for the trips success.
For the Senior High Youth Leader’s own personal growth, both in the development of skills and in personal development, the Leader shall be involved in the following as mutually agreed on by the Lead Pastor.
1. Seminars and workshops: The Leader shall, with the approval and financial support from the Youth Team, attend:
? Seminars and workshops in the field of youth ministry as deemed helpful by the Lead Pastor and Youth Team.
? Seminars and clinics in regards to personal or spiritual growth as deemed helpful by the Lead Pastor and the Youth Team.
? Five days per year of continuing education will be provided. The financial cost will be provided on an “individual event” basis as approved by the Lead Pastor and Youth Team.
2. Reading and Research: The Senior High Youth Leader shall spend a reasonable portion of time each week in the area of reading and research in the general functions of teaching, leading and preparation. The Leader shall also, on a regular basis:
? Keep abreast of the books and periodicals in the specific area of youth ministry for the latest developments and trends that may assist our congregation in this area of ministry.
? Continue the development of materials for Trinity congregation in its ongoing task of equipping the membership in the areas of youth ministry.
3. Work Log: Maintain an hourly record of projects and activities. Its express purpose is for use as a tool to guide the Leader toward the successful completion of the required job duties.
Must be a devoted Christian.
Must be able to lead by personal example.
Must have a high school diploma; preference given to bachelor’s degree or youth ministry certification.
Must have 2 years paid professional experience.
Must be able to demonstrate strong personal and organizational skills.
Must have the ability to recruit, train and motivate young people.
Forward resume and cover letter to Debbie Charbonneau, Church Administrator at email@example.com by Monday, March 14, 2012.