This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Local Missional Life Director
Holland, Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 02/22/2012
Categories: Church Developer - Missions/Domestic
Church Size: 751 to 1000
Job Type: Full-Time
Local Missional Life Director
Engedi Church is a missional community of people who are committed to loving and serving God, our neighbors and the world. We preach the gospel, and we do our best to live it out. Since our inception in 2005, Engedi Church’s mission has been to advance the kingdom revolution of Jesus worldwide. We have identified five core values we believe mark the advance of Jesus’ kingdom in our midst. Additionally, our community strives to live out five life practices that embody these values (see engedichurch.com).
We believe God’s original dream for creation was to create a community of people who experience complete wholeness of mind, body, emotions and soul in Him and deep, meaningful relationships with each other. Jesus began His ministry by announcing He had come to bring good news to the poor, to release the oppressed and to free the imprisoned. He called the experience of these realities living in the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is an ever-expanding reality of those who are experiencing the restoration of what was lost at the Fall—harmony with God, within ourselves and within our relationships to our community. While full restoration won’t occur until His return, Jesus invites us to both experience and extend restoration in the now. This is why Engedi is here.
Engedi is a young and vibrant church with 81% of our attendees under the age of 40. On average, 800-900 people worship together each Sunday morning. Historically, Engedi has held a strong commitment to compassion and justice. We direct 25% of our annual budget towards our missional commitments. We have launched new missional initiatives as well as collaborated with existing missional agencies to serve the local and global community. Our hope is to be a community that is actively living out its faith in acts of compassion and justice.
One of the realities we discovered early in the church’s life is that the broader Holland community has great needs and there are many people at Engedi who would like to help meet those needs. However the challenge we face as a church is creating accessible ways of connecting Engedi folks with community needs. As Engedi has rapidly grown, so too has our need to invest more heavily in facilitating that connection. The goal of the Local Missional Life Director is to discern the important needs of our community and to help leverage Engedi resources to help meet those needs. Though the below list of duties and responsibilities carries with it many administrative responsibilities, it’s important to remember that the heart of the Local Missional Life Director is to make available the hope, healing and restoration of Jesus as his kingdom revolution unfolds in the city of Holland.
Skills & Qualifications
• Deeply committed follower of Jesus
• Deep passion towards justice and compassion
• Sincere care and concern for those less fortunate and those in need
• Very effective administrative skills – including the ability to set goals, facilitate advance planning and effectively manage ministry and personal schedules
• Proven leadership experience – has developed a ministry vision and accomplished it
• Proven ability to recruit, develop and communicate with volunteers
• Has worked with low-income populations or has community development related experience
• Previous social-work experience would be helpful but is not required
• Fluency in Spanish would be helpful but is not required
• Able to connect with people with varying ethnic, economic and educational backgrounds
• Team player – humble, willing to defer to others, supportive of other Engedi ministries
• Is a partner of Engedi or is willing to become one upon joining staff
• Tithes (not necessarily entirely to Engedi, but substantially so)
• Is in a CABLE group or other similar experience of biblical community
• Affirms Engedi’s core beliefs, mission, values and life practices by word and example
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with point leaders of local teams (Gleaners, Kids Hope (staffed), Greenbriar) to advance missional life goals
• Forge relationships with local non-profit agencies so as to foster opportunities for Engedi to help meet community needs
• Develop entirely new strategic service opportunities so as to foster opportunities for Engedi to help meet community needs
• Communicate local service opportunities to CABLE group leaders
• Communicate to the congregation regarding the vision and importance of local missions
• Recruit leaders/team members
• Prepare and administer the missional life budget
• Respond to outside financial requests for missional life support
• Assist in communication of missional life initiatives
• Oversee Community Care (and develop as necessary), including overseeing the Community Care budget. Community Care is our ministry to those who are part of Engedi who are going through significant life events – births, deaths, illness, etc.
• Oversee internal/external benevolence
• Oversee Spanish Translation Team
• Oversee additional staff members as deemed necessary in the future
• Participate in staff meetings (staff meets 2x/month)
• Participate in directors meetings (directors meet 1x/month)
• Full-time with fully covered health benefits
• Reports to Director of Community Life and Global Missional Life
• Please email resumes or questions to email@example.com