This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Children & Family Ministries
First Evangelical Free Church
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 02/19/2012
Categories: Children's Pastor
Denominations: Evangelical Free
Church Size: 251 to 350
Job Type: Part-Time
DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN & FAMILY MINISTRIES
First Evangelical Free Church of Chicago
First Evangelical Free Church (First Free) is a young, contemporary, urban congregation of approximately 325 people in Chicago’s Edgewater neighborhood. First Free has a rich heritage of initiating and supporting numerous ministries both in the city and around the world. We believe God has strategically placed us in a culturally, socially and economically diverse location presenting us with many opportunities to serve our community. For more information about First Free, see www.firstfree.com.
First Free’s vision is to cultivate a thriving urban community by experiencing life in Jesus through reaching up, reaching in and reaching out. In reaching up, we want to love God with our whole heart and live out our passion for worship, scripture reading and prayer. In reaching in, we seek to experience life together according to the principles of Acts 2. In reaching out, we desire to serve and share Christ’s love with our community and world.
Children and Family Ministries Mission
Partner with parents in helping their children experience new life in Jesus Christ and cultivate thriving families who experience life in Jesus together. Specific details regarding Children and Family Ministries vision and currents goals are available at First Free’s website.
Children and Family Ministries Programming
Programming for Children and Family Ministries includes regular Sunday morning and midweek programs, special family events, and all-church events/meetings.
Summary Description of Position
Reporting to the Senior Pastor, the Director of Children and Family Ministries is responsible for developing, overseeing and coordinating all ministry and programming related to children from birth to 5th grade and their families. (Approx. 65 children)
Primary Responsibilities and Goals
• Work with Senior Pastor, Children and Family Ministries Vision Team and Parent Advisory Team to develop ministry goals and keep the ministry on track with the mission, values, and ministry goals of the church as related to children and families.
• Communicate the vision and goals of the ministry regularly with other staff, parents, volunteers, and congregation promoting awareness of Children and Family Ministries with in the church body.
• Oversee/direct volunteers and paid staff in Children and Family Ministries. Develop and care for a strong volunteer leadership staff by implementing dynamic recruiting, training, motivating, accountability, and volunteer support systems.
• Desire to learn, grow, educate others regarding how God designed children.
• Develop and oversee Children and Family Ministries annual budget.
• Maintain and ensure safety of the children and volunteers in the ministry by following Child Protection Policy guidelines and further developing areas of need.
• Coordinate volunteers to ensure appropriate staffing for programs.
• Develop programming specifically aimed at supporting parents in their God-given role as spiritual leader in their home and events relevant to parents who are raising children in the city.
• Create a fun, creative, and relevant learning environment for children in order to increase their understanding of God’s love for them and encourage a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Ensure relevant curriculum is used that teaches Bibilical principles and truths appropriate for various developmental levels.
• Work with other ministries to develop programming that reaches out to children and their parents in our neighborhood with the message of the Gospel in relevant ways that show our commitment to the community.
• Develop special events and programs for families during summers and holidays.
Experience and Qualifications
• At least two years experience in leadership positions within Children and/or Family Ministries.
• Successful experience building teams and recruiting volunteers.
• Current in teaching techniques and curriculum development and willing to grow in understanding in this area.
• Formal training in Christian education preferred but not necessary.
• A personal relationship with Jesus Christ, demonstrates Christian maturity and a growing dependence on God
• Has a passion for reaching children for Christ and a passion for supporting parents as they disciple their children.
• Is a team player who works well with a variety of people and situations, including other staff members, parents, and volunteers.
• Is a visionary leader who demonstrates initiative and follow-through—a self-starter who needs little supervision.
• Is enthusiastic and able to motivate and mobilize others to action.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Demonstrates good organization and time-management skills.
• Possesses a broad appreciation for using the arts as teaching tools, including music, art and drama.
• Fosters an environment that stimulates open communication and creativity, and engenders a team spirit in solving problems and identifying opportunities.
• Affirms and supports the church’s doctrine, bylaws and vision.