This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Child Ministry Director
Cypress, Texas, United States
Date Posted: 03/23/2012
Categories: Children's Pastor
Church Size: 50 to 100
Job Type: Part-Time
We are a church located in the Northwest Corner of the Houston metroplex in Cypress, TX. After twelve years of being a portable church, we just completed a multi-purpose building that we use for Sunday worship celebrations and other ministry events on the twenty acres we own on Mueschke Road. We are already seeing an influx of visitors from our growing community and want to make we are providing excellent ministry to, for, and with children.
Even though we are a church with roots and current affiliations in the Southern Baptist Church, we have more of a multi-denominational feel about us. We place a high value on relationships, and therefore are looking for someone who is not just coming to do a job but someone who wants to be a part of who we are and what we are doing. Of course, most importantly, we are looking for someone who already has a flourishing friendship with God.
We are a small church with a big vision. We want those who are associated with our ministry to create "pockets of heaven on earth" where they live, work, and play. Toward that end we see our mission as "being here for you, so you can be there for them." Our focus is to help people discover and grow in the grace and love of God and to equip with skills so they can be shining examples of that love where they live, work, by intentionally giving of themselves in ways that address the needs of others.
Having said all that, here is the formal job description.
Child Ministry Director
The Child Ministry Director is responsible for recruiting, training, and providing leadership to a team of volunteers for ministry to children. This ministry is to be consistent with the overall vision and mission of Cypress Oaks Church. Within those parameters the Child Ministry Director will be responsible for all decisions pertaining to child ministry. This ministry will equip children with the knowledge and practices they need to develop an intimate relationship with God and the ability to communicate and demonstrate God’s love to others. The foundational venue of this ministry is the Sunday morning children’s church but will include other venues to provide opportunities for Christian nurture and mission as is appropriate.
Accountable To: Lead Pastor
Ministry Area: Preschool and Elementary Age Children
Talents or Abilities Desired: Good organizational skills, Ability to motivate people, Good communicator, Self-Starter,
Understands how kids learn, Enthusiastic
Passion For: Influencing and affecting children’s lives with the gospel of Christ
Experience Level: Some previous ministry involvement preferred.
Expectations: Just as with all ministry leadership positions at Cypress Oaks Church, this person, and their family if married, is expected to participate in the larger ministry of our church. The minimum expectation is that they be engaged in worship and small group offerings. This participation is not to be considered work for which they are compensated, but a demonstration of their desire to be a part of who we are and our approach to life.
Anticipated Time Investment: This is a part time position. While there is a weekly component to this ministry, some aspects of it may also be seasonal. (i.e. summer children ministry activities, Christmas program, or other things of the like that may be included in this ministry) On average the expectation is that fifteen hours a week be invested in this ministry.
1. Attend all Ministry Creation Team meetings and coordinated child ministries with the larger ministry of the church.
2. Develop and lead an effective child ministry team.
3. Communicate with Lead Pastor regarding child ministry offerings and plans.
4. Develop a budget proposal for child ministries for inclusion into the annual budget of the church.
5. Develop a personal plan for continuing education in the field of child ministries.
6. Participate in training opportunities as offered.
7. Oversee and coordinate all aspects of the children’s ministry.
7. Organize training and planning sessions for children’s leaders/workers.
8. Screen children’s workers and leaders before placing them in ministry.
a. Have everyone complete an application and sign a release form for a police background check. This is a safety precaution for the children’s sake. Plus, many insurance companies now require such procedures in order to insure the church against liability relating to misconduct.
b. Proceed with background check and file results in a confidential folder to be kept in a locked file cabinet in the church office.
c. Approve or disapprove workers and leaders for service in the children’s ministry.
9. Investigate complaints regarding children’s ministry workers. Discuss complaints/problems with workers when warranted. Document and report serious matters to pastor and where required by law to the proper authorities.
10. Approve all children’s ministries programs, curricula, activities and disbursement of funds for supplies and projects, keeping within budgeted amount.
11. Work with children’s ministry team to plan weekly and seasonal programs and participate as needed.
12. Be available to counsel and pray with children regarding spiritual matters.
13. Pray for the children and children’s ministry workers.
14. Other duties as assigned.