This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
First Christian Church of Florissant
Florissant, Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 11/16/2011
Categories: Youth Pastor
Denominations: Christian Church
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
First Christian Church Florissant is Seeking Candidates for:
Full time staff Position: Youth Pastor / Department Head
The Youth Pastor will be to introduce young people to Christ; to disciple them in spiritual growth; to train them in serving Christ with their life; to provide primary leadership to the FCCF Youth Ministry (grades 6-12), which includes: Sponsor recruitment and development, Sunday Bible School, Middle School and Teen Worship Services, Small Groups, Summer Camp and Conferences, and Teen Missions Trips. Of equal importance is to assist parents or guardians in raising their teenagers to a wholesome maturity. Finally, to support the activity entrusted to FCCF senior leadership to carry out the church vision by seeing to the spiritual health, well-being, and growth of the FCCF Youth program.
Reports to: Executive Pastor
Position Supervises: 1-2 Youth Interns, Departmental Administrative Assistant, and TBD
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
• Must be a professing, born-again believer with a maturing relationship with Christ.
• Must show a faithful pursuit of leadership characteristics as listed in 1Tim.3.
• Able and willing to preach / teach and views his position as a high calling to serve God with excellence and in humility.
• A thorough knowledge of the Bible is essential.
• Must have knowledge and skill in the disciplines and principles of fruitful Christian living. Lay or vocational experience preferred in an established successful Youth or young adult program.
• Must demonstrate a genuine love and maintain a good rapport with young people from all walks life.
• Must be sensitive to needs and pressures of teens with knowledge of possible solutions.
• Must be able to teach, train, and disciple Youth sponsors and other volunteer workers.
• Must be a team player and able to exercise initiative and judgment as an independent worker.
• Must possess organizational and administration abilities.
• Must be flexible and able to respond to changing needs throughout the daily/ weekly/monthly ministry schedule and assist staff by being available for rotation on “minister on call” duties, service host duties, etc.
• Minimum 5 years experience working with Youth.
• Bachelor’s degree from a Christian college or other similar university.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of the Youth Pastor shall include the following:
• Develop and oversee the Youth Ministry in the areas of evangelism and worship, including programming, strategic planning, and balance of the Biblical purposes. Youth Pastor will oversee all programming plans and changes discussed and approved with the Executive Pastor and/or Senior Pastor.
• Provide oversight of middle and senior-high Youth, Youth Staff and Sponsors.
• Assure Youth groups maintain a balanced program of spiritual, physical, and social growth.
• Be acquainted with personal lives of the young people. For example, visit homes, attend school events, and make hospital visits. This also includes being aware of current Youth development and culture.
• Foster open communication with parents/guardians primarily through Youth staff and sponsors, or by other means of communication.
• Assure that every Youth activity focuses entirely on building mature Youth of the church. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to Midweek Programming, Youth Groups, CIY, VBS, Sunday school, and re-connecting Youth with the church family during worship on Sundays.
• Serve as one part of a total ministry team and guard against any potential "silo" effects of the ministry through training and regular involvement of Youth in church ministry.
• Assure proper care of facilities used by Youth programs.
• Maintain effective leadership for each Youth program. Provide support and assistance as required but permit sponsors or other delegated volunteer leaders to handle the day-to-day needs of the Youth programs.
• Provide formal (structured) and informal (by example) leadership training for the Youth staff and sponsors.
• Provide formal and informal forums for frequent communication, encouragement and evaluation to the Youth staff / sponsors. Be the sponsor coach and create a team atmosphere.
• Evaluate and make recommendations concerning teaching materials and methods used in all of the Youth programs.
• Be an advisor / resource for all Youth sponsors throughout programs.
• Maintain a well-planned, carefully balanced program throughout the year coordinated with the church calendar of events.
• Assure responsibilities for all events (for example VBS, retreats, and special events) are delegated and understood by sponsors and Youth.
• Pre-schedule all activities in their entirety, including post-activity plans and communicate same to staff, parents, and Youth in a timely fashion.
• Provide information and encourage attendance to summer camps, CIY, etc.
• Establish, maintain, and report metrics of Youth ministry annual goals.
• Attend bi-monthly meeting with FCCF Ministry Staff for prayer and planning.
• Attend bi-monthly feedback sessions with the Executive Pastor.
• Review and discuss annual job performance evaluation.
• Total compensation negotiable based on experience and education.
• Salary range: generous and commensurate with experience level
• Entire package may be proportioned to accommodate the needs of person (salary, housing, retirement, education incentive, health/dental insurance)
Our Youth Ministry Department exists to prepare the next generation to live for Jesus one season at a time. It consists of the combined Middle School and High School Ministries of First Christian Florissant. We have joined forces and implemented resources to do all we can to make a long lasting impact in the lives of the next generation of Christ followers with the hope of leaving a legacy. Hydr8 Midweek and Surge on Sundays are respectively high school and middle school-specific worship experiences that involve music, challenging teachings, and opportunities to go deeper with the Lord through discipleship and mentoring.
The greatest challenge will be to recruit, build, train and empower a new student ministry team to not only maintain existing programs, but to develop a plan to fulfill the church’s overall vision to “double & deepen.” As the student ministry has been strong for many years in the 175 student range, a new strategy will need to be implemented to significant move the ministry forward. Exploring a new opportunities for students to become involved through creative arts is desirable.
First Christian is positioned well for continual growth. High level leadership and excellent facilities in a strategic location is a recipe for success. One of the greatest opportunities for breakthrough would be the intentional inclusion of the growing multi-ethnic, and especially the African American community in student ministry leadership. Because First Christian is one of the largest churches in the St. Louis area, it has the potential to be a church that influences others as it embodies innovation and relevance.
To find out more about First Christian - Florissant please take your time to peruse www.fccf.org to learn more doctrinal beliefs, vision and values and the many other ministries of the church.
If after a thorough look at these documents you sense that this might be of further interest, please send resume and cover letter to: Kitty@fccf.org.
No Phone Calls Please