This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Contemporary Music Director
Trinity Lutheran Church
Joppa, Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 11/08/2011
Categories: Music Ministry
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
Trinity Lutheran Church
1110 Philadelphia Road
Joppa, Maryland 21085
Contemporary Music Director (Full Time)
Position to be filled: January 2012
Salary and Benefits: Negotiable
Music is an important and essential ministry of Christ’s Church. It presents God’s Word to God’s people, and thereby informs of God’s Will and grace, while encouraging people to participate in an express their faith. The use of music in worship and other gatherings will bring life, power, and spiritual vitality to the people. Because music is highly relevant to the worship of the Body, this person needs to be a committed Christian and a professional musician who know he/she is called by God into this specific ministry.
He/she functions directly under the guidance and supervision of Team of Lay Ministry and the Senior Pastor at Trinity Lutheran Church. The position requires that he/she has a strong Christian background and will exemplify the Church’s Christian ethics through word and daily living.
a. To spend time each day in personal reading of the Scriptures.
b. To spend time each day in personal prayer.
c. To share with the Pastors visions that may be brought to him/her through the power of the Holy Spirit.
2. Meet with the Lead Pastor on a weekly basis to discuss preludes, anthems, and worship songs.
3. Administrative and Staff Meetings: The Contemporary Music Director shall meet weekly for administrative, devotional, planning, and sharing time on the following levels:
a. Ministry Staff Meeting – Tuesday at 10:15 a.m.
b. Special Ministry Staff Meeting the 4th Tuesday at 10:00 a.m.
c. General Staff Meeting – Tuesday at 11:00 a.m.
d. Weekly Meeting with the Lead Pastor – day and time to be determined
4. May be asked to attend a monthly meeting of the Traditional Music Team, in order to insure smooth running of the overall musical ministry and provide advice in any areas of needed expertise.
5. May be asked to attend a monthly meeting of the Lay Ministry Team, Parish Planning Council and General Voters’ Meeting.
6. It is the responsibility of the Contemporary Music Director to coordinate all clerical work such as: sorting, maintenance and filing of music, maintenance of attendance records, requisitioning of all music, instruments and apparel, development of publicity for all programs, aid in the preparation of an annual budget for music ministry that would include expense for purchase of music, musical instruments, clerical items, and expenses involved the maintenance of instruments.
1. To provide the necessary guidance in the following areas:
a. Lead Revolution Contemporary Team rehearsal, on Monday evening.
b. Lead Revolution Contemporary Team at the 10:45 Worship Service.
c. Schedule necessary team members needed for worship.
d. To make arrangements for substitutes during vacations and times of illness.
e. Develop and grow Contemporary Choir to support the music Team on Sundays.
f. Develop and grow a team of additional instrumentalist for worship.
g. Develop a Saturday Evening Worship and Worship Team, with a target date of September, 2012.
h. Develop a Drama Team Ministry Team for presentations in worship.
i. Provide leadership and support to the Youth Music Ministry (6th – 12th grade).
2. This person must be able to develop working relations with other ministries and work as a team player.
For personal growth, both in the development of Music Ministry and personal development, the Contemporary Music Director will attend the following as mutually agreed upon by the Lead Pastor.
1. Seminars and workshops in the field of Music Ministry as approved by the Lead Pastor and Lay Ministry Team.
2. As appropriate, will assist in arranging Music Ministry seminars and workshops onsite for Pastoral and Music Ministry Staff.
3. The Contemporary Music Director will also keep abreast of research and periodical in the area of Contemporary Music Ministry for support of Trinity’s spiritual growth.
1. The candidate must be an inspirational musician with a strong Christian faith.
2. The candidate must be able to read sheet music.
3. Understand the role and importance of music in worship and other aspects of church life.
4. Organizational and planning skills required to plan and coordinate band rehearsals.
5. Desire to actively participate in the life, work and worship of this congregation.
6. Able to effectively interact with a wide variety of persons of differing ages and backgrounds.
7. Experience in conducting vocal and instrumental groups, and a Bachelor’s degree in music is preferred, this would be a plus but not a requirement.
Forward resume and cover letter to Debbie Charbonneau, Church Administrator at email@example.com, by Thursday, December 1, 2011.