This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Music & Arts
Edmonds, Washington, United States
Date Posted: 10/20/2011
Categories: Music Ministry
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
Edmonds United Methodist Church
Director of Music & Arts
“To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
We seek to fulfill this mission as we:
Grow in Faith.
Serve the World.
Edmonds United Methodist Church, a growing and active congregation, seeks a gifted choir director, and pianist and/or organist to lead a music and arts program in a manner that reflects the mission and vision of the church.
1. Continue to develop, build and lead a multifaceted faith based music and arts ministry.
2. Work with church staff, music and arts volunteers and congregation members to understand the musical needs and vision for EUMC and solicit feedback regarding the music program.
3. Direct Chancel Choir and develop/coordinate the various music & arts ministry programs at EUMC including but not limited to:
• Sunday Worship Services
• Bell Choir
• Youth Choir
• Hallelujah Blues
• Angels Alive
• Choir on the Move
• Instrumental groups
• Art Hall
4. Work with the pastoral staff in the planning of all musical components of worship.
5. Actively recruit, train and retain volunteers from the congregation for lay ministry in music and arts.
6. Communicate and work with the pastoral staff, lay staff, music ministry team and other members of the congregation and the community regarding the EUMC music program.
7. Supervise the assistant organist or accompanist, choir directors and other staff and volunteers responsible for the various aspects of the music and arts program.
1. Is a spiritually mature Christian with a strong sense of spiritual calling in the area of music and arts.
2. Works alongside pastors, staff members, congregation and volunteers.
3. Has strong interpersonal, oral and written communications skills.
4. Understands the distinction between performance and worship.
5. Possesses self awareness personally, spiritually and musically.
6. Is organized.
7. Is enthusiastic, innovative and open to new ideas and direction.
Required Skills, Experience & Education
1. Bachelor’s degree in music or related field.
2. The ability to engage a diverse congregation in the worship experience using a wide range of Christian music genres.
3. Five or more years of demonstrated experience in a musical leadership role in a church setting.
4. Strong choral conducting skills.
5. Proven ability to recruit and train a team of volunteers.
6. Commitment to excellence in piano, organ and overall musicianship.
7. Experience using music software.
Preferred Skills, Experience & Education:
1. Masters degree in music or related field
2. Experience and expertise playing a pipe organ
3. Bell choir experience
4. Willingness to cultivate connections in local music community.
The Director of Music and Arts and Organist reports to the Senior Pastor and Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
Edmonds United Methodist Church welcomes everyone. We strive for diversity in our congregation, believing that all people are created in God’s image and loved unconditionally by God. We seek to be an inclusive and multicultural church of different ages, racial backgrounds, classes, genders, and sexual orientations. We seek unity in our common faith in Jesus Christ and our common commitment to grow in Christian discipleship.
EUMC phone: 425-778-2119 & Website: www.edmondsumc.org
Desired start date in January.
Position: 35 – 40 hours a week.
Send resumes to: Edmonds United Methodist Church
828 Caspers Street
Edmonds, WA 98020
Or email: email@example.com
Applications due by November 5th.