This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Christ United Methodist Church
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 10/06/2011
Categories: Executive Pastor
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 1501 to 2000
Job Type: Full-Time
• CUMC is searching for An Executive Pastor who will assist our Senior Pastor in supporting the growth of our body and ministry needs. The Executive Pastor will serve in an administrative capacity to our ministry staff by empowering, mentoring, leading, refining, challenging and enabling staff to execute church and ministry objectives. The Executive Pastor should lead our staff with a servant’s heart; have a visible and growing personal relationship with Christ that cultivates an atmosphere whereby Christ is honored through their ministry at CUMC. The Executive Pastor will have the responsibility and authority of enabling the vision through the oversight of ministry objectives maintaining a functional communication procedure between our Senior Pastor and all ministry staff.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• In conjunction with the Senior Pastor the Executive Pastor will lead all staff meetings providing agendas and objectives in addition to building and developing an atmosphere of collaboration.
• Execute ministry objectives created in conjunction with Executive Leadership Team (ETL) and Ministry Team ensuring consistent delivery of vision through all programs.
• Create plans to resolve operation issues, communicating collaboratively throughout the process with ELT and Senior Pastor. Identify and resolve personnel issues in a manner that upholds the Church’s mission.
• Coach and Mentor Ministry Staff ensuring personal development and delivery of church’s values and mission through leadership.
• Supervise staff to insure accountability toward achieving work plans and objectives, coordinating the appropriate resources and ensuring performance reviews and timely feedback is delivered.
• Manages multiple projects simultaneously, constantly re-evaluating priorities based on ministry needs.
• Build, support and empower CUMC staff and key congregational leaders by building relationships and developing and implementation of teams.
• Provide ongoing direction and support to staff and lay leaders by recognizing and utilizing individual strengths through ongoing professional development.
• Develop job descriptions, participate in the hiring of program staff members; evaluate and propose adjustments to staff structure conduct and co-conduct annual performance evaluations; and review compensation and HR issues with the relevant committees.
• Establish tools and procedures that both evaluate our program effectiveness and better integrate our programs with the church’s mission. This includes review of mission, vision, and core values, development of key objectives and tactics, establishment of three year goals; and evaluation of ministry performance.
• Facilitate all staff meetings and lead planning retreats, including an annual strategic planning and visioning session.
• Lead the programming staff and key lay leaders (adult education, men’s ministries, etc.) in regular meetings specifically focused on integrating the programming life of the church.
• Attend board meetings as requested.
• Join pastoral staff in representing CUMC at community and city wide events, including community outreach programs.
• Assist in leading worship and preaching at the request of the Senior Pastor.
• Conduct weddings, funerals and community services as requested by the Senior Pastor.
• Other duties as required.
• First and foremost the Executive Pastor will have a deep and growing relationship with Christ, a growing and vibrant relationship with their family, and a commitment to maintaining healthy accountability relationships with a small number of mature Christians. A servant leader’s mindset must be evident in the life of this candidate.
• Applicant should have spiritual beliefs congruent with the United Methodist doctoral statement, and have demonstrated strong moral and ethical character and decision making.
• Minimum of a B.A. /B.S. undergraduate degree (Ministerial degree preferred) with an emphasis on ministry formation, implementation and organizational leadership. Additional education or training specific to ministry development and oversight, organizational leadership and business administration preferred. While a seminary degree is not required, training in theology would be preferred since this position will lead and coach multiple pastors and other lay leaders.
Knowledge Direct Experience
• Proven progressive leadership in a growing ministry/service organization setting. Strong knowledge base regarding new ministry development, ongoing ministry operation, policy and procedure development, strategic planning, team development and leadership coaching and mentoring. Experience in general pastoral care activities including biblical counseling, teaching and lay leader mentoring an added plus.
The Executive Pastor will require a unique blend of the strategic/biblical skills to lead the development of plans and objectives, and a strong interpersonal/relational skill set to effectively implement and enable that plan. The candidate will demonstrate skills in:
• The practices and principles of new ministry planning and implementation.
• Organizational development.
• Authoring, collaborating, and updating strategic plan documents that provide ministry reporting.
• Orchestrating resources, communication and operational efforts to create greater efficiency, effectiveness, and team clarity.
• General human resources management, with a specialization in individual and team development.
Oversight and Reporting:
• The Executive Pastor reports to the Senior Pastor.
• This position operates in a chief of staff model, providing day to day oversight of all office and pastoral staff (with the exception of the Senior Pastor) in conjunction with the overall leadership of the Senior Pastor. This position may also have direct supervision of some members of the office staff.
Please include salary requirements with application.
Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter, and supporting documents to:
Robert Bulsza, SPRC Committee Chair
PO Box 50046
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579