This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Assimilation and Communication
Christ United Methodist Church
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 10/05/2011
Categories: Communications - Outreach
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 1501 to 2000
Job Type: Full-Time
Major Duties Include Oversight of all Assimilation and Communications; the Church Volunteer Processes; and Oversight of Clerical Staff
Assimilation Responsibilities Include:
• Provide managerial oversight to the implementation of the new CUMC assimilation ministry and volunteer systems with the goal of goal of having 60% of Sunday attendance involved weekly in meaningful ministry (assimilation is not just a system for tracking and contacting visitors but has the goal of each attendee feeling ownership with church mission and being actively involved in serving others).
• Develop and document the CUMC assimilation process by: 1) removing any barriers to guests attending this church, 2) moving first time guests to becoming fully developing members, 3) measuring and documenting discipleship progress, 4) engaging the congregation in volunteer mission and ministry activities, and 5) creating systems to determine and address individuals whose involvement is decreasing so that no one is “dropped” or leaves “via the back door” without the church becoming aware and intervening.
• Maintain a data base of the congregation and their current involvement in the church (Life Groups, volunteer and interest groups, student ministries, committees, and other activities including church attendance. This system should include attendance and communication at the group level.
• Develop and maintain a system to track all communications and requests from congregants so that all requests to the church (membership, baptism, expressed interest in Life Groups or volunteers, etc) will be recorded and tracked.
• Create a measurement and reporting system for the assimilation processes.
• Develop leaders and train teams that can execute the assimilation and volunteer system processes
Communications Responsibilities Include:
• Communicating the message of the Gospel and the vision and mission of Christ United Methodist Church (CUMC) to the congregation and to the public; to keep the congregation fully informed about pertinent events and church news; to coordinate efforts to advertise church activities, functions, services and general information to the local community; to act as the church contact for external media seeking information from or about the church.
• Work with other staff and committees to establish Church communications policies and procedures.
• Provide oversight in the production of communication products produced by individual ministries and groups. Act as a gateway and quality control check on all church communication products, including those produced within individual ministries.
• Coordinate the production of regular publications (including, but not limited to worship service bulletins, bulletin inserts, annual reports, visitor and ministry brochures and posters, etc. in a timely, accurate and presentable manner.
• Develop, maintain, and suggest enhancements to the Christ United website and the related sites to communicate the church message and events. Coordinate efforts to keep the information accurate, up-to-date to include a church calendar, current sermons and messages from the pastor.
• Provide oversight and supervision to CUMC technical and media staff in the production of daily devotion videos video announcements in the worship services. Maintain congregational awareness to encourage participation in the devotions.
• The coordination of development and deployment of various forms electronic communication including email, social media, texting, etc.
• Assist in the design, maintenance, and coordination of all church signage both within and directional signage outside the church.
• Responsible for the prudent management of all communications related budget line items including preparation of annual budget proposals and timely processing of credit card and invoice payments.
Volunteer System Responsibilities Include:
• Develop a volunteer process which includes maintaining a database of all open volunteer positions
• Maintain a database of potential volunteers with their skills and spiritual gifts
• Develop and manage the process to match volunteers with positions and evaluate the results.
• Create a measurement and reporting system for the volunteer process.
• Construct a training program that outlines the requirements for the volunteers (includes both CUMC general volunteer expectations as well as specific position training).
Responsibilities for Management of the Clerical Staff Include:
• Oversee the clerical staff in their day to day duties
• Develop and maintain Job Descriptions and perform periodic job performance evaluations
• Assign tasks to clerical staff to manage workload and requests. Develop processes to ensure assignments are completed in a timely manner and with quality of results.
• Develop and maintain a library of processes performed by the clerical staff.
Responsibilities for the Nominations Process Include:
• Cooperate and work with both the pastor and the chairperson of the nominations committee to ensure the nominations process produces the most qualified candidates possible.
• Integrate the Nominations Process with the Volunteer process of positions, skills, and gifts data base.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
• Enthusiastic willingness to serve Christ and His church.
• Maturity of Christian character and gifts of discernment.
• Experience in managing people and projects.
• Familiar with publishing software, website development tools, and electronic media design and development.
• Excellent interpersonal, networking and supervisory skills.
• Attentive to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to plan, organize and multitask in a deadline intensive environment.
• Command of the English Language (proper spelling, grammar, etc.).
• Minimum four year (B.A, B.S.) undergraduate degree
RECOMMENDED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
• Good listening skills, patience, and perseverance.
• Familiarity with Christ United: the nature of its congregation, its vision and doctrines.
• Familiarity with video production software.
• Two years professional communications experience with a not-for-profit, church or para-church organization.
Applicant should have spiritual beliefs congruent with the United Methodist doctoral statement, and have demonstrated strong moral and ethical character and decision making.
Please include salary requirements with application.
Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter, and supporting documents to:
Robert Bulsza, SPRC Committee Chair
PO Box 50046
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579