This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Worship Ministries
Zion Lutheran Church
Clear Lake, Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 10/04/2011
Categories: Music Ministry - Worship Pastor
Church Size: Not Applicable
Job Type: Full-Time
Zion's vision is to bring every lost person in Clear Lake into a Biblical Community of devoted followers of Jesus.
The Worship Ministry's Vision Statement is:
We are a Biblical community of faith, in which people from all walks of life experience the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ, find acceptance and friendship and discover practical answers to life's problems as together we strive to live holy lives. In worship, we come together to bring glory to God...
To accomplish this vision Zion currently offers 4 services each weekend.
This is a quiet reflective service of prayer to close the day. The service picks up themes of light and dark, prayer, the close of day, and the closeness of God. The music is a blend of traditional and contemporary and the piano is the main accompanying instrument. The service is preceded by 30 minutes of quiet performed music to allow time for prayer and meditation.
Sunday Morning Traditional Service:
An informal liturgical worship service that follows the basic format of the Lutheran Book of Worship. The favorite hymns and familiar traditional forms predominate. The organ is the main accompanying instrument and special music is provided by multiple choirs, bell choir and soloists. It is a service that emphasizes both the transcendence and accessibility of God, and is family friendly.
Two Sunday Morning Praise & Celebration Services
A non-liturgical service with contemporary worship music accompanied by a full worship band.
During the summer the Praise and Celebration Service is presented in the Clear Lake City Park unsing the band shell.
The following is the official job description:
In keeping with the congregational mission, values, and vision, it will be the job of the Director of Worship Ministries to create a spirit of praise, adoration, thanksgiving, and consciousness of God in worship services and within the Zion Lutheran Church family.
Under the supervision and direction of the Senior Pastor and in cooperation with other staff, and Ministry Teams it will be the job of the Director of Worship Ministries to produce worship at all services in accordance to the service style (including Advent and Lenten services), shepherd those serving with and under him/her and organize and lead the worship ministries of the church. The Worship Ministry includes worship teams, worship leaders, technology teams, choirs, choir directors and those who assist or support worship (volunteers to schedule ushers, readers, acolytes, communion preparers and servers and any other volunteers needed). The Director of Worship Ministries will:
1. Personally direct and oversee or coordinate all music ministries including all choirs, instrumental groups, ensembles, vocalists, praise band and special music events (weddings and funerals), following the Zion vision of serving out of the context of small groups, developing a servant heart and motivation, motivating all to strive for the highest levels of faith and excellence for the glory of His Name.
2. Supervise the selection of those who minister in song, on instruments or in the band.
3. Be the primary worship leader, leading with voice and guitar or voice and keyboard, and direct the worship teams and bands for all contemporary worship services.
4. Personally provide or arrange for musical support for the traditional and evening prayer services.
5. Stay abreast of latest developments in worship technology and help the worship ministries stay current.
6. Supervise and provide for continuing education for worship team members, instrumentalists, technical team and other worship participants in how to lead the congregation in worshipping God.
7. Participate in continuing education and be familiar with worship resources and new music and art forms.
8. Select hymns/songs for worship, prepare copies for rehearsal, arrange or transpose as necessary and maintain records and prepare reports in keeping with the CCLI Licensing requirements.
9. Recruit volunteers to participate in all aspects of music and worship.
10. Develop and/or encourage musical programming for all ages (adult, youth, children’s choirs, instrumental ensembles, solo, duet, and small group ensembles).
11. Supervise the acquisition and upkeep of musical instruments (piano tuning, organ, sound board, sound system and A/V equipment).
12. Supervise the purchase of seasonal decorations, candles, communion wine and other worship supplies as needed.
13. Represent the music ministry to the Zion Congregation Council and Pastoral Staff and file regular reports to the congregation.
14. Develop an annual budget for worship/music and maintain records in keeping with the accounting principles of the congregation.
15. Cooperate with pastoral staff to create and coordinate thematic worship plans.
16. Provide leadership for the Worship Ministry Team and any worship task forces.
17. Provide for periodic evaluation of the effectiveness of the worship ministry.
18. Work cooperatively with the Director of Communication to promote communication with the staff and congregation through established Church media
19. Promote drama and other artistic forms to enrich the worship life of Zion.
20. Support congregational leadership, other staff, and attend weekly staff meetings.
The Director of Worship Ministries will also carry out other ministries and duties from time to time at the request of and in cooperation with the Senior Pastor.