This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Children & Family Ministries
Sand Point United Methodist Community Church
Seattle, Washington, United States
Date Posted: 11/04/2011
Categories: Children's Pastor - Christian Education
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 151 to 250
Job Type: Full-Time
Sand Point Community United Methodist Church Mission Statement: We are an inclusive, caring community- committed to Christ’s work, seeking spiritual growth, and lovingly responding to the needs of God’s world.
Director of Children and Family Ministries
To build a vital ministry of Christian formation for children, youth and families. The Director of Children and Family Ministries is responsible for coordinating outreach efforts, spiritual development, Christian education, programming, administration, recruiting and training related to Children’s (from birth through high school) and Family Ministries.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop programs and ministries that foster the spiritual growth of children, youth, and families.
- Develop and publicize programs and outreach strategies for the community which will fulfill the church’s mission and deepen its renewal.
- Welcome visitors and follow-up with new families.
- Create & compile curriculum. Coordinate Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.
- Recruit, equip, empower and support volunteers working in children’s ministries, including, but not limited to Sunday school, family events, youth group and Vacation Bible School.
- Lead training events (i.e: teacher training, curriculum review, Safe Sanctuaries policy).
- Provide age-appropriate mission and service opportunities for children, youth and families.
- Support spiritual growth opportunities for parents.
- Develop working relationships with area Christian Education and youth directors.
- Work closely with pastor, church committees, parents, volunteers, and staff.
- Collaborate on and support church-wide activities.
- Foster and mentor the development of leadership skills in our Youth.
- Conduct background checks on everyone who works with children at SPCUMC.
- Nursery - Supervise staff and coordinate care for Sunday mornings and week night events.
- Coordinate with Music Director to develop music programs for Sunday School and VBS; and coordinate with part-time youth minister on joint ministry programs
- Communicate regularly with Youth and families: (phone, text, email, visits)
- Communicate publicity via bulletin boards, newsletter, website, posters, etc. for children and family ministry activities.
- Attend Staff meetings, Church Council, and other meetings as necessary.
- Assist with management and oversight of children and family ministries budget.
- Submit a yearly reflection to a foundation funding children’s and youth ministry at SPCUMC.
- Strong personal Christian faith that includes a mature understanding of the Bible.
- Hospitable to diverse theologies and viewpoints.
- Prior experience in Spiritual Formation: i.e. camp, VBS, Sunday School, retreats, etc.
- Academic coursework in Christian Education/Spiritual Formation desirable.
- Highly motivated self-starter with leadership skills to develop/nurture volunteers.
- Strong organizational & networking skills; positive interpersonal skills; and effective communication skills.
- Experience and/or vision for outreach to larger community.
- Ability to work with diverse groups and types of people.
- Able to work with our community which includes diversity of age, orientation, and income.
The Director of Children and Family Ministries will report to, and will be accountable to, the Pastor and the Staff/Parish Relations Committee at Sand Point Community UMC.
Conditions of Employment:
References from three people, including one employer, and one pastor.
Hours: Full-time; 40 flexible hours per week - minimum 4 hours each Sunday.
Salary: $32,000-$37,000 - commensurate with experience and education.
90 day probation period
How to Apply:
Email ASAP cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (educational and professional) to:
Sand Point Community United Methodist Church
4710 NE 70th Street
Seattle, WA 98115-6148
For more information or questions, call 206-523-3040 or email email@example.com or check out our website at sandpointumc.org.