This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Music and Worship Arts
Edenton Street United Methodist Church
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 08/18/2011
Categories: Music Ministry
Church Size: 4001 to 5000
Job Type: Full-Time
The people of Edenton Street United Methodist Church have worshiped God on the corner of Edenton and Dawson Streets in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina since 1811. We are not simply a number of red brick buildings; while we have been on this corner for two hundred years, we are a vibrant growing community leaning into the twenty-first century.
Some of us are young, and some are old. There are those of us who are steeped in tradition and others of us who worship in a more contemporary style. There are those of us who are new to the faith and those who are just beginning to explore a faith. Of course, there are those of us who have been here for decades. We hold in common our desire to be on a journey, though we find ourselves at many different places on the road. Edenton Street is a place where God’s creative spirit surrounds us with beauty beyond imagination. It is this wonderful connection between God and each of us that allows the creative spirit to soar and blossom through music and all the worship arts.
Called to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, the Director of Music and Worship Arts, through a saving faith as evidenced in her or his life, will maintain and further develop, implement, and support a comprehensive music and worship arts ministry for ESUMC. In this role, the individual will ensure that the Music and Worship Arts Ministry at ESUMC contributes directly to the church’s four-part vision of:
(1) Inviting individuals to encounter Christ,
(2) Preparing those individuals to deepen their dependence on God,
(3) Caring for those who are hurting,
(4) Equipping and sending individuals into the world to do extraordinary things in the name of Christ.
The Director of Music and Worship Arts Ministry is charged with enhancing the worship experience and with providing ministry outlets for those interested in music, drama, and the arts. Essential responsibilities include:
• Worship: Provide leadership in planning, evaluating, and executing worship services across a variety of worship styles and musical genres, in collaboration with the clergy and worship teams of the church.
• Music and Worship Arts as Invitation: To actively encourage and model an invitational music and worship arts ministry which invites all to encounter Jesus. Provide leadership to the church in facilitating and developing opportunities for the church’s music ministry to go into a diverse community while inviting the community into Edenton Street. This will include ensuring that we liaison with the local music and arts community, and coordinating the church’s involvement in music and worship arts opportunities that arise from such relationships both on- and off-site.
• Music and Worship Arts as Preparing: Continue to grow and shepherd a thriving music and worship arts ministry that serves the function of preparing believers to deepen their dependence on God. Such preparation will occur during worship, in the church’s educational ministries, and across the breadth of fellowship opportunities at the church.
• Music and Worship Arts as Caring: Ensure that the use of music is a way to both celebrate and grieve, which will include leadership and organization sufficient to provide music at weddings, funerals, memorial services and other such special event services.
• Music and Worship Arts as Sending: Engage in the use of Edenton Street’s music and worship arts program as a way to go into the world and make disciples of Jesus Christ. Develop programs that allow individuals of all ages and musical ability to contribute to spreading the Word through the varied ministries of the Church. Advance Edenton Street’s efforts to share Christ in the downtown community, recognizing the diversity of that community in race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and stages of spiritual formation.
• Excellence in Artistic Expression: Has the ultimate responsibility for the development, rehearsals and presentations of all aspects of music and worship arts at ESUMC. The Director will focus on leading and equipping others who can assist in the myriad of roles that will have to be performed to accomplish this endeavor.
• Management: Perform a myriad of management-related duties including setting expectations, coaching, providing feedback, developing talent, and performance management for 1-3 staff level team members as well as a volunteers engaged in music and worship arts ministry at all age-levels. Communicate regularly with clergy, staff, and volunteers regarding the planning and execution of the numerous components of the music and worship arts ministry.
Our Music and Worship Arts Ministry leader will have a Bachelor’s degree in Music or music related discipline, (Master’s Degree preferred.) with an emphasis on performance in a sacred setting combined with five or more year’s demonstrable experience in music ministry management and leading a music ministry in varied formats and genres. In addition, the Director of Music and Worship Arts Ministry will have experience directing the music and worship arts programs of a similarly sized congregation; the ability to provide music in impromptu and unrehearsed settings; instrumental capability; knowledge of the United Methodist Church denomination, liturgy, and worship style; excellent planning and organizational skills combined with sound oral and written communication skills.
If this information describes you, send your Word formatted cover letter outlining related accomplishments and resume in complete confidence to Art Burke in care of: email@example.com