This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Lexington United Methodist
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 08/03/2011
Categories: Children's Pastor - Christian Education
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
The Children's Minister will provide visionary leadership to develop and grow the children's program and its ministries for 2-yrs through 5th grade and their families based on Wesleyan principles. Current children's programs include a morning Sunday school ministry, an 11:00 a.m. Children's Church, and Wednesday evening opportunities for all-aged children; occasional Sunday afternoon activities; a dynamic, outreach-oriented VBS; and seasonal activities and events for families.
The Children's Minister will be responsible for recruiting, training, ministering, counseling, and directing a volunteer group of Sunday school teachers and program helpers. This person integrates the children in the ministry of the church and congregation; supports and participates in the church’s mission/vision, worship services, and other activities. The Children's Minister serves as a vital and contributing member of the church Ministry staff team. This is a full-time position. The total compensation package includes a health care allowance, pension participation following a probationary period, and continuing education benefits.
See the job description below and on the church website at www.lexumcsc.com for complete details.
Please email resume and references along with a detailed cover letter to the Children's Minister Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: August 19, 2011
Job Title: Children’s Minister
Reports To: Senior Pastor
Position Status: Full-Time (40-hrs/week), Salaried
Office Hours: Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with an hour for lunch; Friday 8:30 a.m. to noon; Wednesday evenings 5:30-8:00 p.m.; Sunday mornings 8:00 a.m.-Noon; occasional Sunday afternoons 4:30-6:30.
Essential Duties and Responsibilties:
1. Build, maintain, and grow relationships with children and parents. This will include building, maintaining, and growing quality relationships with parents and partnering with them in faith-based teaching and training. It will also entail the development and implementation of a passionate, energetic, and dynamic ministry devoted to children (2-yrs through 5th grade) and their families where children are intentionally sought, Biblically taught, and shown that they are loved and valued in Christ
2. Create, develop, and lead programs according to the church's mission and vision including but not limited to the following components:
• Provide Sunday morning opportunities for worship, education, and relationship building for children (2-yrs through 5th grade) by providing curriculum consistent with the core values of United Methodism and Wesleyan principles.
• Develop outreach programs, activities, and events (evangelism and growth-based) such as Vacation Bible School.
• Plan spiritual growth programs, activities, and events that provide opportunities for children and families to worship and fellowship together, learn Biblical truths, and apply them to their lives.
• Provide opportunities for children and families to serve the community through mission giving and events.
• Provide leadership and direction for Sunday morning and Wednesday evening children's ministries while ensuring that all activities are properly staffed to ensure the Safe Sanctuary guidelines are effectively carried out.
• Collaborate with the Youth Director to bridge the gap between rising sixth graders and older youth to ensure smooth transitions as youth grow into different phases of church experience in their walks with God
• Welcome, reach out, and follow-up with visitors to children and family activities
• Provide direction for an 11:00 a.m. Children's Church. Integrate the children with the congregation and promote their cause and discipleship by involving them in worship services and providing frequent communications in various ways.
3. Recruit, train,encourage, minister, and counsel energetic and gifted volunteers who are necessary partners for a successful and exciting children's ministry where family opportunities for involvement play a vital role. Ensure that volunteers who work in children's ministry programs are knowledgeable in and comply with the church's Safe Sanctuary Policies.
4. Administrative responsibilities include the following duties:
• Develop and manage the Children’s Ministry budget in cooperation with the Children's Council.
• Anticipate and project future resource needs. Promote, provide justification, and budget accordingly.
• Attend weekly church staff meetings and periodic meetings of the Children's Council, Church Council, and Education Committee.
• Participate in appropriate professional development conferences and seminars
• Provide current information on programs, events, and activities for the church bulletin, newsletter, and website.
• Verify that satisfactory completion of background checks and Safe Sanctuary training for all adults serving with children and that appropriate documentation is maintained on file.
• Serve as a member of the Children's Council.
• Communicate appropriately and effectively with church staff, children, volunteers, and parents.
• Realize the significance of this ministry to overall church health.
• Serve as a cooperative member of the team working to accomplish the church's mission and vision.
1. Knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Possess a deep-rooted passion for Children’s Ministry.
• Understand the challenges of parenting in today’s changing culture
• Possess knowledge and ability to affirm United Methodist Church doctrine and practices
• Demonstrate familiarity with Christian education curriculum and program design, planning, and organization
• Continuously progressing in their walk with God through a personal , and growing, relationship with Jesus Christ
• Have a passion to lead and train volunteers to share Jesus Christ’s love with children through teaching, serving, and building loving relationships while developing young Disciples of Christ
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• A self starter—highly motivated, creative and energetic
• Ability to be a good role model and set an appropriate example of a work ethic, organization, and skill in prioritizing and managing time
• A team player with effective relational skills – collaborative, coachable, and communicative
• Demonstrate an attitude of servant leadership with staff and volunteers
• Exhibit spiritual gifts of hospitality, service, administration, encouragement, and mercy
2. Preferred educational level:
• Bachelor’s degree in Christian Education, teaching, or related field
3. Minimum experience
• Three years experience working with children
• Experience in developing and leading Children’s and/or Family ministries
• Experience with recruitment, training, leading, and developing relationships with others - especially volunteers
• Computer literate with proficiency in Word, Excel, Shelby Church Management, and e-mail desired.
4. Physical Requirements:
• Capable of lifting 30 lbs
• Physically able to participate in children’s activities