This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Bethel Christian Reformed Church
Lansing, Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 07/28/2011
Categories: Associate Pastor - Discipleship Pastor
Church Size: 351 to 500
Job Type: Full-Time
Position Description – Associate Pastor
Bethel Christian Reformed Church (BCRC)
With the retirement of the Rev. Gerrit Veenstra as Minister of Pastoral Care, the Council of the BCRC is restructuring its pastoral staff with the hopes of adjusting the Senior Pastor’s role to include more pastoral care, adding a part-time retired pastor to serve in the area of pastoral care, and adding full-time Associate Pastor whose responsibility will be to disciple the segment of the congregation often referred to as “Generation Y” or the “Millennial Generation” (those born between 1970 and early 2000s).
In addition to a commitment to Jesus Christ and a desire to be more like him, evidence of meeting the Biblical requirements of an elder, ordination by a denomination in the Reformed tradition (Christian Reformed Church in North America or Reformed Church in America preferred), and an ability to connect with the Millennial Generation, the Associate Pastor will disciple those people committed to his care through preaching/teaching, leadership, and pastoral care.
1. Preaching - The Associate Pastor will preach during at least 25% of the Sunday morning services and teach as opportunities arise.
2. Leadership – The Associate Pastor will provide leadership for the development and growth of ministries targeted to and for the Millennial Generation of the church and community. As time allows, he may also be called upon to provide direction and input for church-wide ministries, such as the current small-group initiative.
3. Discipleship – While exercising his gift of spiritual direction in partnership with the Senior Pastor, the Associate Pastor will address the unique needs of the Millennial Generation, such as guidance in the areas of marriage and parenting, spiritual growth and witnessing, servanthood and leadership.
Strategic Relationships - The effective Associate Pastor will forge positive and productive relationships with several individuals or entities, including:
1. Dr. Cal Aardsma, the Senior Pastor,
2. The Elders, and
3. With members of the Staff.
The immediate supervisor of the Associate Pastor is Dr. Cal Aardsma, the Senior Pastor, but matters of life and conduct, if such arise, would be attended to by the Elders.
Work Expectations: Full time, exempt
Salary: Commensurate with experience and ability
Social Security Contribution
Education Allowance & Study Leave