This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Pastor of Outreach
Winterville, North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 07/13/2011
Categories: Missions Pastor - Outreach
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 2001 to 2500
Job Type: Full-Time
“It was Christ who gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as pastors and teachers to equip the people of God for the work of ministry” Eph 4:11-12
Primary Equipping Roles....How We Live into Our Biblical Role
(1) Casts Vision: Advances Covenant’s vision, mission, beliefs and values and constantly embeds them in a way that keeps team servants—both equippers and servers--centered on Christ as head
Related action steps include:
• Prays for and with current ministry leaders as well as for and with new servants (Luke 10:2);
• Constantly looks for emerging equippers and casts compelling invitations;
• Keeps teams in step with and connected to the church’s strategic objectives and initiatives and the Outreach Ministry values, beliefs, mission and vision;
• Casts vision continually, even to excess; teaches and reinforces ministry priorities;
• Unashamedly extends invitations for servants to make meaningful contributions.
(2) Trains Servants: Inspires, trains and coordinates equippers and servers in keeping with our team ministry strategy, and the ministry’s vision and mission
Related action steps include:
• Prioritizes training, over doing, by enthusiastically modeling, mentoring and discipling equippers and servers;
• Promotes and executes orientation (and reorientation) strategies in an effort to respond to shifts in our ministry / mission “fields”;
• Influences ministry servers and equippers toward teams that complement their passions, personality, gifts and strengths
• Passionately models the Outreach Ministry’s values of courage, connection, compassion and commitment;
• Builds authentic relationships to influence servers and equippers to operate outside on their “comfort zone”.
• Persuades current equippers to identify potential equippers, within their sphere of influence, who are passionate about advancing the Kingdom of God.
• Assesses and discerns who might need to make a transition to a new ministry area.
(3) Executes Plans: Coordinates ministry equippers and servants so as to implement defined strategies
Related action steps include:
• Models reliability, consistency and passion for all related servants and leaders;
• Consistently, and effectively communicates the up-to-date ministry goals and objectives to servers and equippers;
• Articulates clear goals and expectations for all equippers and servants;
• Follows up with equippers and servers so as to sustain momentum and accountability;
• Charismatically motivates equippers and servers during times of ministry “challenges”
• Models timely communication response time (normally 1 working day).
Core Responsibilities....Our Role on the Team
It is critical that the Director and Pastor of each ministry Pod are full partners in leadership. Covenant has come to consider these strategic partnerships as “Lewis and Clark” leadership teams.
(1) Champions the Needs of Broken Lives
• Listens to the heartbeat of broken lives within our ‘core’ mission/ministry territories.
• Advocates for these communities within the church
• Partners with the staff in monitoring the church’s outreach systems and their effectiveness as well as allocating resources to achieve their maximum benefit and impact
• Disciples ministry leadership teams as Jesus discipled the 3 and the 12. (including: The Ministry Advisory Team, The Strategy Development Team, The Seedcasters Team and the Recovery Ministry Leadership teams)
• Discerns where new territory opportunities may exist.
(2) Advances the Outreach Ministry and Its Equippers and Servers
• Loves and leads ministry equippers and servers so as to keep the ministry teams moving forward; Utilizes regular gatherings to apprentice new and existing servants and equippers
• Always prioritizes the invitations, development and equipping of staff and lay leaders.
• Serves as the face and guiding presence of the ministry
• Builds relationships throughout the larger Covenant church community to promote and engage the congregation
• Serves as Section Leader for Outreach-focused, Free Market groups
• Manages and oversees the assignment of related care needs in concert with Congregational Ministries.
• Guards zealously against any care-receiver falling through the cracks
(3) Orchestrates the Taking of Territory and the Mobilization of Culture Change
• Inspires and directs current equippers and servers in keeping with our team ministry strategies and the ministry’s vision
• A constant positive encourager of people in every facet of our ministry area
• Relentlessly identifies new areas to call servers and equippers into
• Achieves results through and with people who are working in their ‘zone of anointing’.(gift-based, passion-driven ministries)
• Supports and encourages leaders in their roles
• Has a hunger to find the lost, introduce them to Jesus, and disciple believers.
• Communicates a fundamental discontent for the status quo
• Provides support, reassurance and a positive attitude when ministry becomes “hard’.
(4) Secondarily serves as
• Special assistant to the Lead Pastor with congregational needs
• Serves on the Community Center’s board
• Partner to the Crisis Response Team (CRT); provides crisis and pastoral counseling on an as-needed basis
• Member of the Coordinating Team (C-Team)
• Member of Equipping Team (E-Team)
Shared Responsibilities....How We Relate to Our Teammates
Models Excellence: Seeks the pleasure of God alone, does one’s sacrificial best, finishes– hearing God say “Well done”.
Models Teamwork: Works together with teammates to fulfill the mission of the church, recognizes and utilizes the spiritual gifts and talents of the team, serves the team as a vital contributor, and encourages team members in their areas of responsibility.
Models Trust: Dependable on a daily basis and consistently reliable, works to develop authentic relationships through honesty and accountability, and esteems the importance of confidentiality and personal integrity.
Models Respect: Honors and supports the ideas and gifts of others, relates to one another in humility, embraces the unique personalities of each team member, and affirms the contributions of each team member.
Models Effective Communication: Articulates ideas in a manner that is clear to the recipient, listens intently to one another, assumes nothing but clarifies everything, and shares the responsibility to understand and be understood.
Spiritual Growth Expectations....How We Stay in Process
Understands and models that discipleship is a life-long process that is effectively encouraged by spiritual disciplines such as prayer, Bible study, worship, fellowship, serving and generosity.
The Pastor of Outreach reports to The Executive Director of Ministry, who conducts coaching and annual salary appraisals in conjunction with the Staff Pastor Parish Relations Committee.
• Must be a follower of Jesus Christ, exhibiting a growing relationship and spiritual maturity
• Must be a team player, yet a gifted leader
• Must have a hunger for finding the “lost” and brining them to Jesus
• Must be able to relate through cultural differences
• Must be comfortable with teaching and equipping others
• Must be able to rally leaders, equippers and servers and connect them into a Holy-Spirit- breathed vision for Outreach
• Must be an excellent communicator
• Must possess strong team-building and leadership skills
• Must be dependable, self-motivated and comfortable taking initiative
• Must possess a strong work ethic with the ability to balance needs of family
• Must have an appropriate level of education and experience in missionary situations
• Must have experience leading / equipping / supervising a professional staff
Interested applicants should submit an application to:
4000 Corey Rd
Winterville NC 28590
or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .