This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Youth (or Student) Ministries
Kaw Prairie Community Church
Lenexa, Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 07/10/2011
Categories: Youth Pastor
Church Size: 251 to 350
Job Type: Full-Time
Director of Youth (or Student) Ministries
Kaw Prairie Community Church, Lenexa KS
Take a student ministry full of excitement and opportunity and with God’s help and leading, make it a life-changing Spirit-filled community of Jesus Christ—for students, their families, their unreached friends, and the adult teammates who invest their time and love into the ministry.
Kaw Prairie is a 7-year-old evangelical mainline church in the suburbs of Kansas City, whose young families have grown to the point of needing an energetic youth director to continue growing its middle- and high-school ministry past its current depth and size (60/week total; pool of 120+). With contemporary sacramental worship, topical Biblically-grounded message series, and a vibe that’s causal on the outside, serious on the inside, Sunday morning attendance has grown from 325/week to 600/week over two years in our multi-purpose first-floor gymnatorium. A second-floor build-out of classrooms, admin space and multi-media youth room is planned for early 2012. There are no offices per se; we work in classrooms or out of our coffee-shop.
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; exceptions may be considered in extenuating circumstances
2. Hands-on experience in youth ministry
3. Track-record of having led or developed teams, groups, or organizations; experience with recruiting volunteers.
4. Excellent communication, leadership, and relational skills
5. Moderate or better social media & basic office software skills (Mac OS or PC)
6. Capable degree of Biblical knowledge, narrative, and history; expert level not required
7. Jesus-centered hermeneutic that loves and dwells in Scripture, and recognizes there’s an important difference between taking the Bible literally—and taking it seriously.
8. Musical ability appreciated but not required
9. Comfort level with the theology, practices, ministry partners, and policies of Kaw Prairie Community
10. Comfort level with the denominational (ELCA, PCUSA) and parachurch (Willow Creek Association) affiliations of KPCC
11. Grounded in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, challenged by God’s Word, secure in Christ’s love
12. Grateful, playful, personal, and prayerful relationship with Jesus
13. Passion for reaching teenagers for Jesus, supporting them with the Body of Christ, and planting seeds for growing life-long Christians
14. Highly relational and team-spirited with students, parents, and youth-advisors
15. Successful passage of The Parking Lot Test
1. Serve as a role model for students and adult team-members in faith, spirit, humor, and grace
2. Provide vision and leadership for a dynamic middle and high school ministry, emphasizing both discipleship and outreach
3. Organize and further develop the Sunday night WILD ministry, as well as servant, social and outreach events for students and their less-churched friends
4. Recruit and develop adult volunteers to a) build healthy, authentic relationships with students, b) execute key components of Sunday night and other youth-related ministries, and c) administer, project-manage, and nurture relationships with other adults
5. Equip students to carry out Jesus' commission to serve and reach those in our community who do not yet know him
6. Cultivate a love of God and Scripture through a rotation of creative, Bible-based, real-life applicable teachings, involving both the Youth Director and other staff teachers
7. Work with students to grow in spiritual maturity, organizational leadership and evangelical commitment
8. Work with pastoral staff to re-envision, organize, and team-teach Sunday evening and other programs, developing speaking gift in others where possible.
9. Work with the lead pastor to develop a deeper, impactful Confirmation-of-Faith ministry for High School-age students.
10. Coordinate experiences of serving both locally and through summer trips
11. Assist parents in living as followers of Jesus with their teen age children
12. Work within the given child-safety policies of the congregation
13. Work with staff and leaders throughout the church to incorporate students throughout congregational life: worship, serving, giving, leading
14. Participate & support leadership training and inter-related ministry events of other church departments
15. Use other skills and callings to serve the local church body as giftings and bandwidth allow
1. This full-time position (50 hr/wk) will become available Fall 2011; job description posted online at www.kawprairie.org/ydjd
2. This position currently reports directly to the Lead Pastor
3. Youth Ministry span of care is 6th-12th grade students, including those active in the church, their unchurched friends, and community teenagers far from God.
4. Competitive salary with benefits
5. Resumes and application material can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org