Valley Community Baptist Church, located in Avon, Connecticut is looking for qualified candidates for the new position of Pastor of Spiritual Growth & Discipleship.
Valley Community Baptist Church, (“VCBC”), a member of Converge Worldwide (Baptist General Conference), is a vibrant, evangelical congregation, averaging around 1,800 in worship attendance per week and drawing from multiple communities in central Connecticut. VCBC is known for its: 1) biblical, relevant, multi-style worship services and strong preaching ministry, 2) strong ministry to Children, Students and Adults, and 3) constant pursuit of new and innovative ways to do ministry. VCBC relies heavily upon an integrated approach to ministry; its key ministry staff make up a closely-knit, high functioning team whose members are both highly skilled and well-compensated, with salary and benefit packages comparable to those found in larger churches across the country.
Reporting directly to the Executive Pastor, the Pastor of Spiritual Growth and Discipleship will oversee all aspects of spiritual growth for adults and will have the following major responsibilities:
• Developing and implementing a congregation-wide, systematic approach to adult discipleship and growth,
• Recruiting, training, and discipling lay leaders, who will in turn disciple others,
• Supervising adult ministry pastors, and
• Leading a defined ministry community.
Salary is commensurate with background and experience. Position includes full benefit package.
REQUIRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate will have a history that includes:
• Persuasive leadership and team-building, one who can cast a compelling vision of discipleship and spiritual growth, then build and maintain consensus and momentum.
• Strong influencing skills, able to lead up, down, and laterally within an organization.
• A sterling record of execution, the unquestioned ability to “get things done”.
• Supervisory experience (supervision of other pastoral staff is helpful but not essential).
• Dealing effectively with conflict.
• Problem resolution, leveraging strong creative and problem-solving skills.
• Being able to create an environment that supports others in their growth as disciples.
• Relying upon a strong theology of discipleship and spiritual growth.
• Designing and implementing strategies to disciple large numbers of people.
• Seven to ten years of Discipleship, Christian Growth or Spiritual Formation experience required, preferably in a large-church setting.
Master of Divinity or equivalent required. Must be ordained or eligible for ordination.
REQUIRED CULTURE / CHARACTERISTICS
The successful candidate will possess the following characteristics:
• Strong desire to honor God and inspire His people through excellence.
• Models spiritual transformation.
• Personal and emotional maturity; is authentic and genuine as a person and pastor.
• Empathetic, yet objective and discerning.
• Strong work ethic, a self-starter, demonstrates initiative and ownership of results.
• Professional, forthright, courteous, cordial; positive outlook and “upbeat”.
• Neat, organized, structured work approach coupled with good time management skills.
Interested individuals should forward a cover letter, resume written testimony and call to ministry to:
Pastor of Spiritual Growth Search
Valley Community Baptist Church
590 West Avon Rd.
Avon, CT 06001
- or -
No Phone Calls Please
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Pastor of Discipleship and Student MinistriesTemple Baptist Church
- Portland, Oregon
- August 26
- McLean, Virginia
- August 23
Crosspointe Church- Pastor of CommunityVanderbloemen Search Group
- Cary, North Carolina
- August 21
Seeking Leaders for Multiple Leadership PositionsSun City Church
- Spokane, Washington
- August 21
Neartown Church- Discipleship & Connections PastorVanderbloemen Search Group
- Houston, Texas
- August 20
Valley Community Baptist Church
Valley is a community of believers of all ages and stages of life — from young adults to growing families to senior adults. There's something for everyone here. As a community and as individuals, our mission is to honor God and grow in Christ by worshipping God, equipping believers, bringing people to Christ and serving our neighbors. More...