This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Pastor of Worship Arts
Bethlehem United Methodist Church
Thorntom, Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 06/08/2011
Categories: Worship Pastor
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 251 to 350
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Title: PASTOR OF WORSHIP ARTS
Type of Position: FULL-TIME
Reports To: SENIOR PASTOR
The Pastor of Worship Arts will demonstrate a strong commitment to Jesus Christ while developing and implementing the music, drama and dance ministries. It will be the duty of the pastor to work with the Senior Pastor and staff to create an environment that will enhance each worship experience. The pastor will provide leadership for all services and stand-alone events, as well as support various ministries by providing appropriate music and other forms of praise.
The Pastor of Worship Arts is accountable to the Senior Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Music from an accredited college [or equivalent]
• Mature, growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Effective planning and organizational skills
• Vocal and instrumental music conducting skills
• Ability to lead congregational worship and praise with voice and instruments
• Ability to read piano and choir music
• Voice and instrumental music arrangement skills
• Experience in church settings and liturgical traditions
• Familiarity and appreciation of variety of worship expressions/styles, including traditional and contemporary
• Broad range of ability and knowledge of musical resources, which include:
• Leadership and interpersonal skills in working with:
o Volunteer leaders and followers
o Children and youth
• Proficient computer skills
POSITION DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Overall accountability, development and oversight of the total worship ministries, regularly directing each of the following:
• Worship team for contemporary services
• Traditional worship services
• Adult Chancel Choir
• Junior Choir [Grades K-5]
• Youth Ensemble [Grades 6-12]
• Bell Choir [High School to Adult]
• Musical productions [Youth and Adult]
• Organ and piano music, where appropriate, for all regular and special worship services
• Substitutes to provide musical leadership when needed
• Special vocal and instrumental music for scheduled special/seasonal events
2. Administrate Music/Drama/Dance Ministries, which includes:
• All scheduling of organists, pianists or worship teams
• Coordinating appropriate music for special services [e.g., weddings, funerals, memorial services]
3. Develop and oversee the annual budget for the Music/Drama/Dance ministries
4. Select, purchase and supervise maintenance of resources [arrange for tune-ups, repairs or replacements, as needed], including:
• Music/drama/dance supplies and equipment
• Church music
• Choir room
• Choir robes
5. Select, purchase and maintain music/drama/dance resources for the church library
6. Submit musical selections, bulletin notes and other necessary information to office staff for publication in the church bulletins in a timely manner
7. Prepare and present Cantatas of other large choral works twice a year [usually Christmas and Spring]
8. Submit lyrics for Power Point presentations
9. Assume responsibility for music/drama/dance correspondence and contribute to church newsletter and website
10. Periodically report to the CCLI regarding copying, projecting, arranging and recording music under copyright
11. Participate in scheduled meetings, such as:
• Staff Meetings – weekly
• Ministry Steering Committee Meetings – monthly
• Worship Planning Meetings - quarterly
BETHLEHEM UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Church Profile for Pastor of Worship Arts Staff Position
June 8th, 2011
Bethlehem United Methodist Church (BUMC) is situated in the affluent suburban community of Thornton, in southeastern Pennsylvania. Thornton is approximately 3 miles west of West Chester and 20 miles southwest of Philadelphia.
BUMC has been in the community for approximately 160 years. The current sanctuary was constructed of serpentine stone in 1891 in a then modern Gothic style. The interior is oak with stained glass windows and open truss work. The sanctuary seats approximately 200 on cushioned pews.
BUMC is a Biblically conservative, evangelical, Purpose Driven church. We currently have a traditional service at 8:00 am and two contemporary services at 9:30 am and 11:00 am. All services could probably be categorized as somewhat blended, by design.
The full-time Pastoral staff includes Senior Pastor, Tim Kriebel who was appointed to BUMC July 1, 2007. Youth Pastor, Tom Wolff has been attending BUMC for over twenty years and also serves as Executive Pastor. Children’s Pastor, Josh Shaffer, joined the full-time staff in 2008. David Perry is Worship Pastor and joined the full-time staff in 2009 after graduation from Messiah College. David is returning to school full time in September to seek a master’s degree.
The Sunday worship attendance is approximately 300 people. The community around us has grown substantially. Challenged by this growth, approximately two years ago the leadership began to pray and seek God concerning the direction of BUMC. It was determined that God has uniquely positioned us in this community, off the main highways but in a thriving community, to reach our ‘near neighbor.’ This means, while we are strongly committed to the Great Commission to take the Gospel into the whole world, we believe that our primary mission field lies right outside our doors.
Music has always been a strong point at BUMC. There are currently a chancellor choir, children’s choir and adult and youth praise bands. And there has occasionally been bell choir. The church has an appreciation for all types of worship expression, thus the blending of the services. The congregation is able to enjoy stylized hymns in the contemporary services, as well as, occasional praise choruses in the traditional service.
BUMC’s philosophy of ministry is based on the Great Commandment, Matthew 22:27-39 and the Great Commission, Matthew 28:19-20. Because of this, our desire is to reach our community with the good news of the Gospel. We desire a worship setting that is culturally relevant and speaks to the needs of our neighbors. We believe the music ministry of our church is critical to aid us in attaining our goal. We value variety and quality in our musical expression of worship and have great expectation for our future.
For the full-time position of Pastor of Worship Arts, we seek a creative and talented individual, deeply rooted in faith in Jesus Christ to join our leadership team. BUMC seeks An individual who will grow with us as we trust God to strengthen the community at BUMC and impact the community of Thornton.