This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Hamilton Mill United Methodist Church
Dacula, Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 06/05/2011
Categories: Music Ministry
Denominations: United Methodist
Church Size: 2001 to 2500
Job Type: Part-Time
Hamilton Mill UMC, a 2,000+ member congregation located in Dacula, GA, is seeking a Choral Director to oversee the planning of the more traditionally-oriented services at the church. The Choral Director is a part-time ministry position charged with the goal of managing and leading the vocal and instrumental components of the traditional worship experience at HMUMC. Through his/her actions in the music ministry, the successful candidate will engage our congregation and community in the celebration of Jesus Christ through music, help to illuminate the word of God, and prepare our hearts to receive the Lord.
Dacula is one of the best places in the country to work. Mill Creek HS is ranked in the top 5% of High Schools in the country by Newsweek and Osborne Middle School is number one in the State. In close proximity is the Buford School System that is just as academically strong as the Gwinnett County Schools.
HMUMC is located directly across the street from a 890 acre park that features 5 miles of paved trails and dozens of miles of unpaved trails for hiking, mountain biking, and equestrian use. The park also features pavilions, a large playground, two waterfalls, and an overlook from one of the highest points in Gwinnett County. Gwinnett Parks and Recreations has won national awards for its parks and was awarded the number park system in the state in 2010.
• Oversee the planning of the Sunday morning 8:15 AM and 11:00 AM Traditional services
• Lead the 11:00 AM Sunday morning Chancel Choir
• Run effective and efficient rehearsals for each of these services
• Create an intergenerational choral presence with children and youth choral programs
• Recruit and lead volunteer vocalists and instrumentalists within the congregation
• Minister to the choir and others involved in the traditional worship experience.
Gifts and Talents:
• Understands traditional music and can lead and direct a Choir
• Ability to lead and motivate people effectively
• Good planning/organizational skills
• Pleasant singing voice
• Basic piano skills (able to play/follow a written part)
• Able to read and transpose music
• Understands audio and visual technical needs
• Transparent and effective communicator
• Can teach/convey the concepts of music effectively to others
• Willing and competently able to serve as a substitute for other members of the music team, as needed
• College graduate in worship or music-related field preferred, but not required.
Music will be planned in coordination with the pastoral staff. The Choral Director will be expected to participate weekly in worship planning meetings. The Choral Director will also be responsible for selecting, rehearsing, and directing all components of the annual Christmas Cantata, which has typically been held on the second Sunday in December. Additional service responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, healing/prayer services, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Easter morning, Thanksgiving Eve, and Christmas Eve.
Potential candidates are asked to submit:
2. Video of current teaching/leading (links to online portfolio preferred)
All interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, resume and link to your video to email@example.com.